Bought a basket case. Need some help with idle

branpowell606

In the last three months, I bought my first honda, and I love it. Since then, I bought two more. the latest is a 94 DX coupe, but its a basket case. I am mechanically inclined and have been working on car most of my life, but I don't know much about hondas. When I bought it, it did not run, the engine had been swapped, the tranny, ecu and harness are also not stock. The engine is a D15B7, the transmission is from a SI. The intake manifold is a P28, IDK about the TB. It has a full exhaust. I swapped a non vtec ecu(was a d16Z6 ecu?) in to get rid of the CELs, I wired in a firewall MAP because the TB didn't have one, but the engine harness didn't have wires for one either. So that's in. I routed all the VAC lines and coolant lines just like the diagram for a d15b7 that i'll post. Mine is the same except that my engine has another small coolant line just to the left of the large coolant loop that I marked green, right now, it is running to the bottom of where the red coolant line #1 goes below the PCV, and #2 coming from the TB (circled red in my Intake mani pic) is capped until I can grab a T so i can run to line #1 like its suppose to. I wanted to note everything, but I don't think the coolant routing is effecting my idle, but idk. I had to swap out the thermostat housing because there was an odd valve on top of it that should not be on this model, so I found one without the valve in a parts yard. There is a valve/solenoid on the back of the intake that appears to have a broken off top tab, i circled it green in the pics, not sure if it matters, I held my finger over it and it did not change idle issue, so I left it alone. Now the car runs strong, but I am having an idle issue, and since almost the whole engine bay is Frankensteined parts, I really don't know if the issue is because they aren't working together or something else. car starts up, but idle climbs pretty high and will just stay high unless you blip the throttle, then it will drop to almost dying before taching up to where it was before. I have swapped the throttle body to check if the TPS was the issue, no effect. i pulled most vac lines from the intake manifold and capped them to check for leaks, no effect. i unplugged the IAC, it idles slightly lower, but still high with the same symptoms and throws CEL. Currently, no CELs with it all hooked up. Do any of you guys know what might be going on here??

Attachments

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I think im going to need cliffs on this one.

The proper punctuation is welcoming but not intriguing enough for me to read all that.

branpowell606

Sorry, bought car as non running project. Currently D15B7 engine, civic DX ECU, SI 5Sp Trans, P28 Manifold, rest of parts unknown. I don't know enough about hondas to tell you. Car will now start, but idles very high. No CELS. When throttle is blipped, car revs like it should, then dropps to near dying before it tachs up to high idle again. Sometimes, will bounce between almost dying and reving up. rev up, die, rev up, die, etc. Because of all the different parts from different cars, IDK if its a parts problem or what. I have tried to eliminate TPS, IACV, and vac leaks as the issue. Coolant line routing from under the TB blocked off atm, will correct soon. Looking for ideas or somewhere to start since i don't know much about hondas.

branpowell606

progress update. The intake is stamped P32, not p28. When I disconnect the IACV from the harness, the engine no longer high idles, but bounces idle in the low range. I have pulled the IACV and cleaned it and checked the o rings, but that had no effect. Could this be the problem?