Bought a D16Y8 with a D16Y7 head?

SleeperCivic00

So im new to the civic world and recenty bought a 2000 EX 5 spd with 96K on it. a month after I bought it I found the rings were completely shot (consumed 3 quarts of oil in 2200 miles and it doesnt leak a drop of oil, no oil in the coolant) so I decided to swap in another D16 and build and turbo it. I already bought what I thought was a D16Y8 for 200 bucks but when I brought it home I realized the throttle body was facing upwards instead of to the side like my ex does. I checked the vin on the block and its a 99 and its stamped a D16Y8 on the block. im thinking the guy I bought it from swapped a Y7 head from another civic to put the Y8 head on something else. Does that sound right?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Without being psychic there is absolutely no way for us to know what the previous owner did or didn't do. Only he could answer that.

What does the stamp on the head say?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Most likely has a Y7 head. I've never heard of anyone using a Y7 IM on a Y8 head.

Also, check for a Vtec solenoid:

It's the thing that looks like an over-sized thimble, just about directly in the center of the photo (a little to the right).

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
Did it come with an intake manifold? Who the hell puts a y7 head on a y8. In all actuality the blocks are nearly identical if not the same the head is what is really changed.