brake disaster

t_mac

5+ Year Member
I took apart the drum and shoe assembly, then put it back together using the other side as a reference. The drum fit back on, no problems. The side I had not yet taken apart- the drum won't go back on. I have turned the adjuster bolt all the way back and it still won't go on. I have added more fluid and pushed on the brakes and nothing. What can I do?

kuchtaboy

5+ Year Member
I have added more fluid and pushed on the brakes and nothing
uh oh. lol

That probably wasnt a good idea to do if the drum wasn't on the shoes.... You probably just blew out your cylinder.

t_mac

5+ Year Member
oh s**t are you serious? the rubbers did come off but I put them back on, how can I tell if theyre blown? can I still somehow put the wheel back on?

recover recover recover.

kuchtaboy

5+ Year Member
there is a way to rebuild the cylinder by putting new stuff in, but cylinders are hella cheap. pretty sure I picked one up for my civic last year for like 15 bucks at the auto store.

I'm not sure why your shoe's wouldn't allow for the drum to go back on tho... did you step on the brake before you tried to put the drum on? It just doesn't really make sense that it came off, but wouldn't go back on.

t_mac

5+ Year Member
well I'm not sure but maybe the e brake somehow got stuck on. I can't compare the lever to the old one cause the drum is on. But when I look inside the opposite cable is longer making me think the problem with the e brake was on the one I already got reinstalled.

dyce590

True Life:I drive a Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i major in automotive at my college. if the car has a self. adjuster you should be able to drive in reverse and hit the brakes and the adjuster should readjust itself

also its not a good idea to hit the brakes while the drum is removed. you cause pieces of the assembly to go flying

edit: also it does make sense that the shoe wont go back on because the pads are pressed tight onto the drum. example, the drum isnt bolted to the assembly, it is simply held on by the shoe. you have to set the adjuster all the way back in so that the pads are all the way in and that the drum goes back on

EGHseries

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It Sounds Like A Cylinder Came Apsrt You Have To Much Fluid Pressure Man Release It And Push The Cylinder Back Together And S How It Goes Or Better Off Just Buy A New One