brake lights wont brighten up. HELP!!!

92EGCivic

5+ Year Member
hey cc. i realized i had a problem with my brake lights the other day. when i hit the brakes my lights wont brighten up on either side. when i do turn on my parking lights they light up but still will not get brighter when i hit the brakes. one of my lights and my third brake light were out already so i thought the other one just went out but when i replaced the blub it did the same thing with the new bulb. I recently did a auto to manuel swap so do you think it could be the pedal switch or anything else??? help before i get a ticket PLEASE. thanks...

2nedhnda

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
check your fuses, I think there is a seperate one for the brake lights. if that doesnt help, check out the wires near the plug for the bulbs and make sure they are okay.

usdm.ehtu

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yea man, sounds like a blown fuse.... had the same prob when I installed gauges in someones car... they have a seperate fuse...easy fix

JR-Style

Technician
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
check your brake light switch, most likely cause specially since changing pedal assembly. make sure it is aligned properly and are getting power running through it when the circuit is closed.

92EGCivic

5+ Year Member
well i know its not my fueses now. i just checked all of them and all of them were fine. looking at the switch for the brake peddel switch it looks like the switch is suppose to be pushed down when your not on the brake and released when it is pressed. right now its never pushed down. i could be wrong about how i think it works but can someone check out there set up and tell me if im right or not. and where is the switch suppose to be hooked up to?

92EGCivic

5+ Year Member
No one knows? i really need to fix this problem. PS i just found out how much azenis suck in snow... just wanted to through that in :thumbs up

JR-Style

Technician
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
when your pedal is up it should open the circuit (pushed in) when the brake pedal is pushed down it will close the circuit(let out) could be an aligning issue, may have to adjust it. get someone to stand at the back of the car and watch the lights when you manually push it to see if the switch works or not, is so, then align it properly

92EGCivic

5+ Year Member
Just checked it out. nothing. is there a relay just for the brake lights? the thing that puzzles me is that the lights work when i turn the parking lights on but not when i hit the brakes.

JR-Style

Technician
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
92EGCivic said:
Just checked it out. nothing. is there a relay just for the brake lights? the thing that puzzles me is that the lights work when i turn the parking lights on but not when i hit the brakes.
im not sure what you are refering to? do you have power at the switch by the pedal? if yes and switch works - check bulbs and grounds, if no - trace back the circuit to the fuses and find your open, the circuit only has so much in it that can be wrong. find out where to start (which side of the circuit, power or control)

boosted-cx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hey, i have the same problem as 92civiceg and i have no clue as to what the problem is. i've checked all fuses, bulbs and even the brake switch on top of the brake pedal and everything seems to be fine. all my lights works when they are turned on but then when i step on the brakes, it doesnt get brighter (nothing happens), sometimes when the car sits for acouple days without being driven, the brake lights starts to work again.

i think i believe i have a short somewhere in my wires but i would have no clue as to how i would find that short. this problem is really pissing me off and really getting me to hate my car.

Vash526

Version_01
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i"m having same problem as well now, has anyone found out anything on this yet?