Brake Pads (56k warning)

TorGa3iGhT

"torga eight"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ok, so I just turned on my car today, and drove around the block....i noticed that there was a rubbing sound along with a sqeaking sound when I was braking.

I am guessing it's time to change brake pads, but wasn't sure how bad it is at the moment...i took a high-res pic of the front brake pads...anyone know how much time i should have left on my brakes (if any)? I'm guessing it's my disc brakes that have the problem...

I'm not sure exactly how long the noise has been going on either...since I usually drive with windows down and music on, so I doubt I would have heard anything before....thanks in advance though!

eblade07

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
change 'em quick, befor you have to buy new rotors!! this happened to my dad on his expedition and it wasnt very cheap

Mr. Lin

Admiral Ackbar
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My mother's Sequoia had the same problem and the pad torn the rotor up and it cost $900 to fix it.

TorGa3iGhT

"torga eight"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so from the picture, doesn't look good, huh?

Mr. Lin

Admiral Ackbar
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
your pad and rotor look fine... but if it's rubbing and you can hear it... get it checked.
It doesn't take a shop long to pull the caliper apart and check the clearance.

TorGa3iGhT

"torga eight"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Mr. Lin said:
your pad and rotor look fine... but if it's rubbing and you can hear it... get it checked.
It doesn't take a shop long to pull the caliper apart and check the clearance.
do you know if they charge to just have it checked?

Bobo_686

Shiny things amuse me
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
honestly the pads and the rotors look good, maybe get a shop to turn the rotors for like 80 bucks, that might solve your problem..one more question..did you use a semi metallic or a ceramic brake pad? if you used semi metallic or a metallic brake pad its called a 'semi metalic squeak' thast extremely common with those pads...i say replace em with somethin higher quality

9civic7

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
from that picture on that pad you have plenty of pad left....one of your other pads could be worn or you could have a caliper that is sticking and wearning out one or more pads prematurley...if you want to get a second opinion a full brake check is usually about 40 bucks and most of the time that goes towards the cost of the repairs

browneye

you know a butthole!
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Most brake pads come w/ a little metal wear tab that starts squeling when your brake pads wear down enough for it to touch your rotor. That gives you plenty of time to replace your pads before the rivets in them start digging into your rotor. Now...even if your pad gets that far and hits your rotor you can get them turned (resurfaced) for fairly cheap. If they are to damaged to get them turned you can just buy a new rotor from any auto shop. I had to replace one on my other civic and it cost me $14 bucks for the new rotor. It was a quick fix that I did myself.

In my opinion your pad looks like it still has some life on it...drive around for a little bit longer and if it still makes noise pull of a tire and check them out more closely. Sometimes you'll get road debris in there that will cause the same type of sounds.

Hope this helps some....

TorGa3iGhT

"torga eight"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Bobo_686 said:
honestly the pads and the rotors look good, maybe get a shop to turn the rotors for like 80 bucks, that might solve your problem..one more question..did you use a semi metallic or a ceramic brake pad? if you used semi metallic or a metallic brake pad its called a 'semi metalic squeak' thast extremely common with those pads...i say replace em with somethin higher quality
these are just stock brake pads...i'm not sure what a semi-metallic brake pad is...

TorGa3iGhT

"torga eight"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
browneye said:
Most brake pads come w/ a little metal wear tab that starts squeling when your brake pads wear down enough for it to touch your rotor. That gives you plenty of time to replace your pads before the rivets in them start digging into your rotor. Now...even if your pad gets that far and hits your rotor you can get them turned (resurfaced) for fairly cheap. If they are to damaged to get them turned you can just buy a new rotor from any auto shop. I had to replace one on my other civic and it cost me $14 bucks for the new rotor. It was a quick fix that I did myself.

In my opinion your pad looks like it still has some life on it...drive around for a little bit longer and if it still makes noise pull of a tire and check them out more closely. Sometimes you'll get road debris in there that will cause the same type of sounds.

Hope this helps some....
might not be a bad idea....i can try takin the tire off in the morning or something with good lighting so I can take a look....yeah, from what I saw when I looked at the pads, one of the pads was fine, while the other one was a little more than halfway down...

know of any good places to get the pads checked/changed if needed?

J32a2OwnsU

Resident Old Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
How does the inner pad look? On my Si I had uneven wear b/c one of the parts was sticking which cause severe uneven wear on the pads. My inner was cooked, my outer (as seen in your pic) was fine.

TorGa3iGhT

"torga eight"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
MySiIzFaster said:
How does the inner pad look? On my Si I had uneven wear b/c one of the parts was sticking which cause severe uneven wear on the pads. My inner was cooked, my outer (as seen in your pic) was fine.
the inner one is a little less than half of the outer one...u can see it in the pic, but it blends with the car real well.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok, your pad looks like its got plenty of life left. your rotor dosent look like it is grooved..so thats good. u live in claifornia, so if you are going to get new pads, i would get your rotors tuned...in california you have checker?? or kragen??...which ever one you have can turn your rotors..should cost approx. 10 bucks each..get new pads...i suggest a brand called satisfied...im pretty sure they carry it...i live in wa, but work for csk inc. so i can find out if they have it for ya tomorrow if u want.

TorGa3iGhT

"torga eight"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah, we have a kragen...not sure what "checker" is...haha! yeah, i'll see if they have those I guess...i didn't know kragen did rotor checks...hmmm

J32a2OwnsU

Resident Old Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Oh resize your picture man, that thing IS HUGE.........

I cant see your inside pad, r u nuts? If its worn way worse (you said it was less than 1/2 of what we can see in the pic) something is wrong. Turning your rotors wont help solve the problem. Its probably that stuck pin I was describing...... To resolve that we pulled that bolt/pin i was talking about and re-lubed it. Either way, you will have to get new pads and should have the rotors turned.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
take your rotors to kragen..tell em that jason from schucks at store 1664 told u to have them turned and get new pads...you'lll be set

J32a2OwnsU

Resident Old Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Trubo97civic said:
take your rotors to kragen..tell em that jason from schucks at store 1664 told u to have them turned and get new pads...you'lll be set
The guy has uneven wear, that means there is a problem, having that done is NOT going to solve the problem.....

TorGa3iGhT

"torga eight"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Here's a resized pic....it's not as high-res, so maybe it will help to see the difference in the two pads...

Anyone know if pepboys does brake pads? i think all the kragen's near me dont have any garages attached to their store...

J32a2OwnsU

Resident Old Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The other pad is on the OTHER SIDE OF THE ROTOR sir..... We cant see it. If you can see it, please MSPaint it and circle it..