brakes and wheel bearings

thambi23

i have a 99 civic ex automatic.. i replaced my front brakes and pads do u really need to replace the rear ones since the car is front wheel drive( some people have told me its not necessary) so for wheel bearings im a noobie what are they used for and what would happen if they are not replaced

ep-hatcher-510

Go away
5+ Year Member
If your wheel bearings are bad u want to replace them,

If your brake pads are still good in the rear you may just leave them.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Generally you can hear noises coming from your wheel if they're going bad. But be careful not to confuse them with another problem.

Drum brakes don't really need to be serviced too often unless you do a serious amount of city driving and are constantly using your brakes OR there is a problem. Even then, I'd say just take the drum off and look at them every once in a while. If the pads are worn down to maybe 2-4/32 or less, the time to replace them is definitely coming.

Wax Hands

Smell my finger
Registered VIP
Quick way to check your wheel bearings is to grab the tire at the 12 and 6 o'clock position and try to wiggle the tire in and out. If there is more than 1/8" of play, replace the bearing.

Rear brakes typically last 2-3x as long as your front brakes. This is a general rule for both rear disk and drum. This is because the front brake system provides upwards of 80% of a vehicles braking power.

techavluis

Registered VIP
Quick way to check your wheel bearings is to grab the tire at the 12 and 6 o'clock position and try to wiggle the tire in and out. If there is more than 1/8" of play, replace the bearing.

Rear brakes typically last 2-3x as long as your front brakes. This is a general rule for both rear disk and drum. This is because the front brake system provides upwards of 80% of a vehicles braking power.
:word:

stateofjustin

Rear brakes typically last 2-3x as long as your front brakes. **This is a general rule for both rear disk and drum**. This is because the front brake system provides upwards of 80% of a vehicles braking power.
A very very general rule. Many rear disc vehicles wear out their rear pads first. The factory typically makes them smaller and thinner to begin with, and due to the differences in efficiency between rear drums and rear discs, the proportioning is set up differently to take advantage of the disc's higher efficiency.

Wax Hands

Smell my finger
Registered VIP
A very very general rule. Many rear disc vehicles wear out their rear pads first. The factory typically makes them smaller and thinner to begin with, and due to the differences in efficiency between rear drums and rear discs, the proportioning is set up differently to take advantage of the disc's higher efficiency.
You must not work on many vehicles because if you had you would know that the majority (about all) vehicles with 4 wheel disc will never wear out the rear pads before the front.

The reason they are smaller is because the design can equal the brake force of a drum system with a smaller disc package.

If a vehicle wears out the rear brakes faster than the front is due to either a faulty system or poor quality parts (pads typically).

Most vehicles on average will wear out two sets of front pads before the rear needs to be replaced.

stateofjustin

I didn't disagree with you, the fronts most always wear faster.

But out of the thousands of models and model year vehicles on the road, not all of them do. And those that do may do so by design intent and not defect.

Since you obviously have never spoken to an engineer from a major manufacturer or worked on a race car, you probably wouldn't know that, or why it might have been advantageous to design a brake system that way. Doesn't sound like you've ever studied braking theory or equations either. Field experience is definitely one of the most valuable resources, but it is not the only one nor is it exhaustive. Manufacturers many times have to correct a design flaw in a vehicle by making a particular kind of adjustment, sometimes brake balance is one of those items.

The point is, it shouldn't be taken for writ that the brake system in every car is designed how you seem to think they all are, because it's just not true. Approach each job with an open mind and when in doubt, research. This approach will make you a better mechanic. Thinking you know everything makes for a lousy mechanic.

stateofjustin

If MOST is 80% of brakes on all cars ever made, and 20% is MANY, 80% would still be a preponderance.

It doesn't mean the 20% doesn't exist. It just means the statements in this thread ignore them.

The last line is really the point.