broken bolt (rear lower control arm)

ge_ej1

5+ Year Member
i broke the head off of the bolt that holds the rear shocks to the lower control arm, it looks like it is still sitting in their good, any ideas on how to get it out or anything?

boosted-cx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the best bet is to take it to the shop so they could torch it out. and your going to need to purchase a new bushing from honda for like 35 bucks.

good luck on that.

ge_ej1

5+ Year Member
thanks guys....i bought one from the honda dealership, i will just tap it out with one of them reverse thread thingys, my dad has one, so i'll give that a try...i don't wanna torch it because it will melt the bushing, so i will try what ever i can....thanks again guys

somejaykid

i'm a mod now
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
ge_ej1 said:
thanks guys....i bought one from the honda dealership, i will just tap it out with one of them reverse thread thingys, my dad has one, so i'll give that a try...i don't wanna torch it because it will melt the bushing, so i will try what ever i can....thanks again guys

well the idea of torching the bushing is to get it out easier unless you have a bushing removing device that's going to take alot of elbow grease if you know what i mean

Jordan_n

No fun unless ur Dragging
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
just dont try to drill it out... my dad tried that and i wish he asked me first, he broke the drill bit in the bolt, and yeah he ended up replacing the entire assembly

tonyM

caca poopoo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if yer replacing the struts then i recomend buying new lcas ,its the easiest way to remedy the problem...
and you wont have to deal with the problem ever again if you change it in the future.

ge_ej1

5+ Year Member
anyone know any good places to buy cheap lower control arms? i know ebay has acouple but not sure if those are any good?

BseriesEG

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
typical honda. lca bolts snap everytime. i snapped mine when i was replacing the all 4 shocks and the bolts were seized in the bushing so i just took it all out as one piece and bought BLOX lca from SpeedFiends(best price/ better then eGAY) in the sponsor section. had them to me in 3 days. gettin new lca's just solves the problem overall. and the 8 dollar a piece new bolts from honda also are must.

Show Me Them Titties
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
mine was rusted in the control arm and the head was broken off, i took it to a local machine shop and i didnt see what they did but they got it out and they didnt even charge me, all i had to buy was the new bolt from honda

RHennin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ok so as sk8shorty posted my previous thread, I figured I'd chime in. If you might have read I had this problem but with the bolt that holds the lca to the subframe. I ended up drilling mine out and got everything back in one piece. I just ended up drilling it out with bigger and bigger sized drill bits until I got it to the point to where the bolt was completely out. I ended up having to use a new silicone type of nut that would hold the bolt instead of the pretty much useless original one since the threads were messed up from drilling it out. If you can try to center punch the bolt and then CAREFULLY drill it out making sure that your drilling only through the center of the bolt. Once you drill the bolt out to slightly smaller than the diameter of the threads, go back in with the correct size tap and run it through slowly removing material bit by bit. MAKE SURE YOU USE LUBRICATING FLUID to make sure that the drill bit and tap dont break and so that the material doesnt heat up. Carbide bits in this case are your friend even with how expensive they are. If you have any other questions just pm me or post something on here.