broken rod......help.

s032105k

So I was driving home this past Sunday when I heard a clacking sound coming from my motor. I had it towed home and as of now its just sitting there... its a 98 b18c type r motor fully built 2.0 sleeved block. My question is if the rod did break would it have messed up the sleeves? I don't really know bout sleeces and how they are installed. Is the motor bored to a 2.0l then sleeved?

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
chances are the rod did not break, if it did, you would have a window in the block. It more than likely spun a bearing, so tear it apart and inspect the crank for damage...the sleeves should be fine

s032105k

chances are the rod did not break, if it did, you would have a window in the block. It more than likely spun a bearing, so tear it apart and inspect the crank for damage...the sleeves should be fine

Ummm idk i most likely think its the rod that snapped. But i guess the only way to find out is tearing it apart.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lol what makes you think the rod snapped? like i said, if the rod actually broke, there would be a window in the block

s032105k

Not all the time... my friends eg snapped a rod a couple months ago and he didn't have a hole in tge block..

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok well im not going to sit here and argue with you. pull the f**king motor apart and see for yourself instead of getting on a forum and asking everyone what their opionion is. Its not hard to take the f**king oil pan off and look at the rods.

s032105k

Damm girl calm down .. lol
Some people don't have all the time in the world to take it apart from one day to another..
No need to get all crazy.

lownslow

5+ Year Member
Some people don't have all the time in the world to take it apart from one day to another..
its not a girl hes a very knowledgeable person on the subject...trust me...and like he said get off the computer and pull it apart...if nothing else, pan and head would be an excellent start. im guna say not a rod...if it was you'd be finding chunks of that block and a large wet spot lmfao!

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
1. im not a girl
2. get off the internet and take the oil pan off. It takes 3 freaking minutes to undo the nuts/bolts
3. dont come on here asking for help, then try to argue with the person who is telling you the information. I spend a great amount of time working on hondas and drag racing....i know a thing or two.

s032105k

Okay so say it is a spun bearing.... would that mess up the journal on the crank also?
And I work all day and I'm on my fone not at home.
And I wasn't trying to argue I was just saying that's what I thought cuz it happened to a buddy of mine.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
your not going to know the full extent of the damage until you tear it apart. It could have f**ked the crank up, it could not have...depends on how bad the bearing was spun (which if it was already knocking i would say its bad).

stateofjustin

Everything GT said, and if you spun and melted the bearing and are hearing the clack of the rod end on the crank you probably damaged the crank somewhat. Another thing that could have happened is you may have produced enough free play at the crank to allow piston to head contact or piston to valve contact, so check for damage there as well. After you pull the pan, you can bolt up a flywheel/flex-plate stop and do leak-down tests one cylinder at a time to check valve seal. Might pay to have someone with a cylinder inspection camera some money to check the valve condition even if the leak-down is good. Otherwise you may fix it and a weakened valve may break or burn soon after. Really the best action is for the motor to come apart altogether with either a rod bearing or rod throw. You probably have plenty of metal everywhere inside the engine and it all has to get cleaned out before it runs again.

3 minutes is a bit of an exaggeration, I know on my engine the exhaust has to come apart in two places to create enough clearance to remove the pan. Sometimes, exhausts don't want to come apart. It shouldn't take you longer than 10 minutes max though, with weasel piss (penetrant) and a decent impact or long breaker bar.