Broken wheel stud Remove hub or replace Knuckle?e

tryagian

So the stud on my front right wheel is stripped and i need to replace it. i only want to go the mechanic as a last resort. i have read up online and there was 3 ways of doing it that i found. one way requires me to grind down my knuckle so i can slip the stud in, but i do not want to do this. scared it can ruin my bearings. the other two ways i will explain in detail

1st way(25$)
jack up car
Remove wheel, brake disc and caliper.
unscrew middle bolt holding the hub
use a hub puller(dont know what its called") and try to pull off the hub
after hub is off hammer out broken stud and put on new one
push the hub back on the bearing

ok so what i want to know if i can press the hub back on with out a press and is that all the steps?

2nd way(75$)
Remove knuckle and replace it with another one with all good studs from the junk yard

ok so is the only thing holding the knuckle in is the top and lower ball joints?
do i need a special tool for this?
and will any 96-00 civic knuckles fit on the ex or will i need it from another ex?

thank you and any diy to do with this problem will help

fredn

Sex and Cars.
I had to replace two studs on the front. You have to have that middle piece knocked out by a mechanic. If you take that whole front suspension piece (the part with the studs on it) they'll knock it out for you for free. They'll probably even put the new stud in. Don't go to a delaership, just go to a regular mech. That's the right way. I don't know about grinding knuckles... you shouldn't have to grind/break anything. It's made to be replaced.

Mugen.Kid

5+ Year Member
Same thing happened to me one. I just went to my mechanic and asked him to drill it out. Put a new stud back in and good as new.

RonJ

Banned
1) Just buy a used knuckle at a junk yard.

2) Rather than the special tool described in the diagrams below, use the method at this link to separate the lower ball joint.

3) I think you can use a small Pitman tool to separate the upper ball joint. Maybe other members have different suggestions.

tryagian

ok does the front knuckles of any 96-00 civic fit on a 2000 civic or do i need to find another 2000 civic to get the front knuckle off of

Raabe

Hell yea I suck toes!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
ok does the front knuckles of any 96-00 civic fit on a 2000 civic or do i need to find another 2000 civic to get the front knuckle off of
im pretty sure all 96-00 are the same.

31dev31

Chillin' Canadian Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
1) Just buy a used knuckle at a junk yard.
Wouldn't you run the risk of picking up a worn/bad wheel bearing though?

Normally, I would do the first choice that the OP described. And using the axle threads/axle nut, I would press the hub back on that way, using a gun. Then re-torque it to specs.

tryagian

ok, so basically i would push the hub back on and then screw that 32 nut back on till it is tight and that will push my hub back on? and thanks everyone

98 coupe

hey
i work at sears auto center and do studs on a reg basis. i may write a lot but please read. and message me if you have any questions. this is how i would do it. you can replace the stud pretty easy if you are handy and can change front brakes. the exploded view of the front knuckle will help you a lot. first off buying a new or junkyard knuckle for a stud is a bad and costly idea, and pulling the hub off is an even worse idea the tool you were trying to think of is a slid hammer, you can cause major damage to the other studs and almost definitely rip the bearing apart if not cause it to grind afterwords. this is how i would do the stud replacement, now i dont remember off the top of my head on a civic but this is my best from experience

make sure the car is in neutral and the wheels are blocked off so it wont roll
you want to jack up and support the car.
take the tire off
brake caliper , pads, and rotor.
turn the hub so the broken stud is where the caliper mounts up its the open spot of the hub
use a steel hammer to smash out the stud, it might be a good idea to put the lugs on the other studs encase you miss, ive dont it.
now you just have to install the new one. the studs press in but you can pull them in i would suggest maybe getting 2 studs and a couple of nuts just encase you mess up. also make sure they are exact in every way also make sure the nuts are open with a flat and tappered sides
you may have to bend the splash guard back to get the stud to line up and get in the hole you may also have to grind one side of the studs round back flat so it looks like a D instead of a O this will help the stud to line up. you dont want to force it in the hub it should line up you will damage the studs if you hammer it in on an angle
once its in the hub you have to find some large flat washers that fit over the stud and on the hub , make sure they lay flat on the hub or it will cause the stud to install crooked. the washers help eat up space you may need 1-4
but the washers on the stud then the nut flat side in. tighten by hand make sure that the stud is straight.
myself i would use an impact gun with some balls and make sure you have a good sized air compressor or a large pry bar and a buddy around cause you have to pull the stud in. if you dont have a compressor then get a large pry bar and a buddy and have him hold the hub in place( make sure you have the nuts on the other studs so they are not damaged) as your turn the nut with a large ratchet or lug wrench the bigger the better the more leverage make sure it goes in straight the whole time.
once its in all the way back the nut off and reinstall everything.

its really not as bad as it sounds, its so easy even a caveman could do it. if your unsure about anything please message me ill get back to you as soon as i can, but please dont pull the hub it will only cause more issues.
i know you said going to a mechanic is your last resort but it sounds better then getting a whole new knuckle or pulling the hub, in fact sears only charges like $50 plus parts to install studs,

sorry for it being rather long hope it helps :twisted: