Buddy's gause cluster don't light up

RonJ

Banned
A test light is very inexpensive and even a good digital multimeter can be bought for $15-$25.

sick si

5+ Year Member
ok i guess i'll have to get those. but i did do the jump wire ting with dimmer switch and i believe it has the current flowing through because the light lit up wen tested it with the fuse checker. here are some pics

am I on the right track?

RonJ

Banned
Did your test above score voltage at both the Red and Red/Blk wire? If so, now use a multimeter to test for continuity to ground for the Blk ground wire.

sick si

5+ Year Member
yes red and red/black wire
ok but i will have to buy the multimeter tom so won't be able to do it now. Where is the best place to buy one? i m in canada

RonJ

Banned
yes red and red/black wire
ok but i will have to buy the multimeter tom so won't be able to do it now. Where is the best place to buy one? i m in canada
In Canada, I couldn't tell you. In the U.S., I have seen digital multimeters sold at many auto parts stores, as well as Sears, Harbor Freight Tools, and even Walmart. Shop around for the best price.

sick si

5+ Year Member
Did your test above score voltage at both the Red and Red/Blk wire? If so, now use a multimeter to test for continuity to ground for the Blk ground wire.
ok so i got the multimeter now but litttle confused. How am i suppose to do that ground continuilty test.

RonJ

Banned
Do you know how to set the multimeter to measure continuity? If not, post a picture of your multimeter.

RonJ

Banned
Turn ignition switch and light switch OFF. Set the multimeter to the position circled in red. Touch one meter probe to the black wire terminal in the unplugged dimmer switch connector and the other meter probe to a clean metal area of the metal frame under the dash. The meter should read 2-3 Ohms or less if there is continuity to ground. Post the Ohm reading that you get.

sick si

5+ Year Member
ok thank you very much for our help. I won't be able to post the reading till tom `just wanted to have all the information and knowledge before i open up my car tomorrow.

sick si

5+ Year Member
i just tested the ground with the multimeter. I got reading of 0.4 and it stayed there. So does that mean i have continuity ?

RonJ

Banned
Again try jumping the red wire to the black wire in the unplugged dimmer switch connector. The lights should turn on.

Currently, neither the cluster back lights or heater control panel lights work, right?

sick si

5+ Year Member
yea none of the interior lights work just the dome lights, ac button light rear defroster light and the other air button light when i press them work other than that i have no light inthe interior.
oh and on the guage cluster the high beam light works which is lit when high beam light is off trunk open light, e-brake light, signal lights and the low fuel lights works. Also the guage itself works perfectly fine.

sick si

5+ Year Member
ok i tried the wire jump on the switch again... still no luck. My other guess would be bulbs but it would be kind of rare that all the bulbs went out at the same time.