build motor before boosting?

NoWorreh808

5+ Year Member
so i decided to go boost.

i could just buy a turbo kit & slap it on my STOCK d16y8. but then i was thinking i would be better to rebuild & upgrade my motor before boosting, right?

if i wanted to rebuild & upgrade my motor, what would i have to do & what kinda parts should i be looking at?

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
You definitely want to get AT LEAST ARP Headstuds and a new headgasket(OEM from Honda). Then if money allows it, rods are next on the list of things to fail, after that everything else should hold up assuming your motor is in "good" shape and your have a reasonable WHP goal.

What kind of turbo kits are you looking at? What's your power goal? Stay away from eBay and no-name brands, they will destroy themselves AND your motor faster than you think.

Here's a useful link to read: http://beesandgoats.com/boostfaq/g2icturbo.html

civhatch92

That's my honda.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
^ exactly, your going to want to upgrade at LEAST some things to make it more reliable. You need to do a lot of research.

willowcairns

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i have the same idea, i have a d16y8 with 90,000 on it and i read that stock d16 can stand 300hp. So i been thinking to get a turbo and have 230hp stock. Later in the year i am going to build the motor and get close to or a little over 300hp. I just have to see how things go money wise.

civic0918

Registered VIP
Get gauges amd keep your boost down low And just adjust the pressure up slowly. 6lbs of boost alone can distroy your engine if you dont keep an eye on your waste gate and gauges. My engine just hit 200 k and Its about time for a rebuild before something goes wrong. Gl

NoWorreh808

5+ Year Member
You definitely want to get AT LEAST ARP Headstuds and a new headgasket(OEM from Honda). Then if money allows it, rods are next on the list of things to fail, after that everything else should hold up assuming your motor is in "good" shape and your have a reasonable WHP goal.

What kind of turbo kits are you looking at? What's your power goal? Stay away from eBay and no-name brands, they will destroy themselves AND your motor faster than you think.

Here's a useful link to read: http://beesandgoats.com/boostfaq/g2icturbo.html
i was looking at some of the go-autoworks turbo kits. http://www.go-autoworks-store.com/ my goal is about 200-230 whp. is that reasonable enough with ARP headstuds, new headgasket, and eagle rods?
or should i build my motor more? i only have 50,xxx miles on my motor & it's in pretty good shape.

QuickReaction

5+ Year Member
D-series rods like to fail around 250hp so with a good tune 220-230ish should be fine, also a cheap alternative for the eagle rods would be fjt rods and vitaras those run for around $425

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
i was looking at some of the go-autoworks turbo kits. http://www.go-autoworks-store.com/ my goal is about 200-230 whp. is that reasonable enough with ARP headstuds, new headgasket, and eagle rods?
or should i build my motor more? i only have 50,xxx miles on my motor & it's in pretty good shape.
Assuming your motor is in good shape, you should be fine.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Get gauges amd keep your boost down low And just adjust the pressure up slowly. 6lbs of boost alone can distroy your engine if you dont keep an eye on your waste gate and gauges. My engine just hit 200 k and Its about time for a rebuild before something goes wrong. Gl
lol, you have no idea what your talking about..

D-series rods like to fail around 250hp so with a good tune 220-230ish should be fine, also a cheap alternative for the eagle rods would be fjt rods and vitaras those run for around $425
a vitara piston/eagle rod combo will hold a good amount of power. We tuned one yesterday, 350whp on 21psi

civic0918

Registered VIP
lol, you have no idea what your talking about..

a vitara piston/eagle rod combo will hold a good amount of power. We tuned one yesterday, 350whp on 21psi
Oh dont i Know ? I know more than you young buck. If the man turns up the boost on stock pistons he is gonna blow his engine. So get off your momma's tit and dont tell me i dont know s**t.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Oh dont i Know ? I know more than you young buck. If the man turns up the boost on stock pistons he is gonna blow his engine. So get off your momma's tit and dont tell me i dont know s**t.
lmao ok dude. Your right, i know absolutly nothing about turbo single cams :roll:

civic0918

Registered VIP
hey i did'nt say you did'nt know anything about turbo's, but you said that about me and mine was just installed not long ago. I just repeated what i was told to help this guy so if im wrong so is the shop that done my install. I just can see that though

NoWorreh808

5+ Year Member
as far as motor wise, new rods, new pistons, new headgasket, & some headstuds? im not gonna boost it anytime soon. but hopefully before fall & definitely before the end of the year. so im just doing some research right now & exploring my options. im always open to new ideas, so feel free to share. thanks for the input everybody.