building a Y8

silk007

ducky ducky
5+ Year Member
ok so ive made research but everything that i look up comes up for a mini me

i want to buy a new head and re doing it with all new internals
but what i wondering is if i completely redo my head will my block be stressed?

im trying to hold on to my SOHC and not do a b series swap

any suggestions?

BEAR_times

Undeniable
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
"Windsor Water Works ya gonna get wet". Iv'e been there a few times when I was a kid, I used to live in Santa Rosa! Anyway, I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure a mini me is swapping a Y8 head in place of a Y7 head. As for suggestions, I don't think D series engines have potential. JFYI, I recommend Honda Tech as another great resource. Good luck.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
"Windsor Water Works ya gonna get wet". Iv'e been there a few times when I was a kid, I used to live in Santa Rosa! Anyway, I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure a mini me is swapping a Y8 head in place of a Y7 head. As for suggestions, I don't think D series engines have potential. JFYI, I recommend Honda Tech as another great resource. Good luck.
turbo d16 > b series, h series, k series.

/thread

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
D-Series have massive potential. They just require alittle more thought and work to reach their potential.

silk007

ducky ducky
5+ Year Member
haha yea that plce is torn down now man, some kid drowned in it. but yea seems like i cant find anything so i will check out honda teh. thanks bro

BEAR_times

Undeniable
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
turbo d16 > b series, h series, k series.

/thread
:clap:
Of corse D's can be made to be more powerful. We all know cars can be modded to change the manufactures intentions, i've seen a smart car beat a Ferrari on you tube for example.

Why not have a better foundation to build on? The D series was designated as an economy line of engines by "Honda". Here is a pretty good link on D engines: http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2409260

I shouldn't have said they don't have potential. I should have said IMO, there are other engines that have more potential.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Why not have a better foundation to build on? The D series was designated as an economy line of engines by "Honda".
thats personal opinion. The D series is a great foundation to build on. people who talk trash about them are the people who dont realize how much power people are making on single cams

Civic2007

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
d-series have potential but a dohc has way more potential.....the only reason people like d-series motors is cause they dont want to be like everyone else with a b-series, not because theyre the best motors....if i had the choice between b and d id choose b every single time

xxsenceo89x

aka superman
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Everyone hates on the D because they just dont know lol. Turbo D series motors make more torque than turbo B series motors. Youll see a turbo B making 500whp but only making 300wtq meanwhile a turboD will be making 400whp with 300wtq. Theyll run the same times but this is the reason why all the fanboys say, "bseries ftw."

Obviously if moneys not an issue the b will be better because it has 2 cams and flows better. Actually if moneys not an issue do a f**king J swap or a hemi or something. Lets be serious tho, nobody wants to spend $54382580 of a f**king Honda Civic lol. Knowledge is power. Bang for the buck= D series all day.

cvnig89

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
:word: d series are good , alot of people just sweat b series like its the best thing. Turbo a D and build it right, youll be impressed by the numbers it can produce.

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i want to buy a new head and re doing it with all new internals
but what i wondering is if i completely redo my head will my block be stressed?
Well its a yes or no answers you're seeking so YES. You will stress your block a bit more but I think a fully built head on a new/stock block is still ok for the D16s. But remember I mentioned new block. When you do all that work on the head, why not build the block as well? (At least new piston rings and bearings...) If your answer is money, then save up and do it right ONE time!

When I built mine, I choose to build only the block and buy a new head cause to me building a block was easier (this had nothing to do with money) to me than messing with all those little pieces in a cylinder head. Eventually I came to realize that a head might be easy to build as well, I just never done it to be 100% sure.

But yeah, all in all, I think a stock block will hold up to a built head.

9EK8

5+ Year Member
d series have potential. just have to have the patience and build it right..

silk007

ducky ducky
5+ Year Member
Well its a yes or no answers you're seeking so YES. You will stress your block a bit more but I think a fully built head on a new/stock block is still ok for the D16s. But remember I mentioned new block. When you do all that work on the head, why not build the block as well? (At least new piston rings and bearings...) If your answer is money, then save up and do it right ONE time!

When I built mine, I choose to build only the block and buy a new head cause to me building a block was easier (this had nothing to do with money) to me than messing with all those little pieces in a cylinder head. Eventually I came to realize that a head might be easy to build as well, I just never done it to be 100% sure.

But yeah, all in all, I think a stock block will hold up to a built head.
this my frinds, is the answer i was looking for. Anyone running a built head on a stock block here on CC?

BEAR_times

Undeniable
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Got tractiion, I gotta admit you make me see some life in my D. Boosted B's vs. Boosted D's: I never thought about the fact that some people with 100 extra HP can't make use of the extra power as senceo says. Is an engine with just under 100K miles worth boosting? I figured I would rather save the money for k-series parts instead of investing in a 10 year old engine.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Got tractiion, I gotta admit you make me see some life in my D. Boosted B's vs. Boosted D's: I never thought about the fact that some people with 100 extra HP can't make use of the extra power as senceo says. Is an engine with just under 100K miles worth boosting? I figured I would rather save the money for k-series parts instead of investing in a 10 year old engine.
compression test will show how healthy motor is

Civic2007

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
how does it have more potential?
ur tellin me a d series head flows just as good with a turbo as a dohc? theyve built boosted b16's with over 600hp and stock internals.....fastest civic in the world runs 6's with a dohc making 1800hp.....you do that with a y8 or a z6 then i'll say that the motors are equals....fact of the matter is he can spend about 2 grand and build his d-series correctly for boost or spend less and b swap it and have a reliable/slower car with more potential for the future.....if a sohc was the best choice then type r's and si's would have came with them