Burning coolant after new head gasket

Mccluskey9rsx

Ok so my dx coupe which has 210,000 miles was burning coolant. you could smell it burning, you could see the smoke coming out of the exhaust, and you could also see the bubbles coming threw my radiator when you hook the funnel up to it.
I went to replace the head gasket, so I cleaned the head and the block, put a straight edge to it to check to make sure it wasn't warped, put the head on and did the two sets to tourgue the head down (first set 22 ft-lbs, second set 49 ft-lbs) put everything back together..
now it smokes so bad that I can't even drive the car. It constantly pours out smoke from the exhaust, i also checked the oil i didnt not see any oil mixed with the water. Has anyone had this same thing happen to them thanks in advance

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
What motor do you have and what head gasket did you use? I know you say DX coupe, but that doesn't mean the motor hasn't been swapped or messed with. Just wanted to be sure you didn't use the wrong head gasket. Any chance you put it on upside down or the wrong way?

Mishimoto

Product Manufacturer
5+ Year Member
Very strange. Those torque specs seem low but it I checked a few sources and they appear correct. Have you had your torque wrench calibrated? Sounds as if perhaps the gasket was incorrect, not installed properly or perhaps the cylinder head is cracked.

I would guess the head needs to come back off to see what is going on. :(

5speedeg

You didn't reuse the old head stud bolts, did you? also, check your vacuum and coolant hoses around your intake manifold and block to make sure none of them were flip-flopped.

Mishimoto

Product Manufacturer
5+ Year Member
You didn't reuse the old head stud bolts, did you? also, check your vacuum and coolant hoses around your intake manifold and block to make sure none of them were flip-flopped.
Nice tip! Any updates OP?