Buy $1000 Craigslist Civic with blown head gasket?

CIVICLILY

5+ Year Member
Hi CC - i was looking at buyin a 93 Civic EX from craigslist, the guy is asking for $1000 so of course im not expecting much from it... he said the only prob is that it smokes and its cuased by a blown head gasket... could that be the only cause for smoking or could it possibly be more serious?

only reason i ask is yeah, i plan on doing a re-build but i want to make sure that it can atleast take me to and from work to save up for the re-build...

an help is appreciated!!! thanks guys!!

RonJ

Banned
White smoke = coolant
Blue smoke = oil
Black smoke = fuel

Generally, though not always, a blown head gasket will produce white smoke. Also keep in mind that a blown head gasket often causes the engine to overheat and that a severely overheated engine may need to be replaced.

Manderson

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i would want a mechanic to check it if the head gasket is blown. head could be damaged as well. just my 2 cents.

CIVICLILY

5+ Year Member
soo assuming nothing is to serious, all i have to do is replace the gasket rite? (like $20 at auto store?)

94cxhatch18

lscxhatch
5+ Year Member
If you have never done a head gasket change it is not terribly difficult but definately one of the more involved gaskets to replace.

RonJ

Banned
Before replacing the head gasket, you would need to determine whether the head is warped and needs to be milled flat by a shop.

Last edited:

CIVICLILY

5+ Year Member
Before replacing the head gasket, you would need to determine whether the head is warped and needs to be milled flat by shop.
Is that something i can check w/o taking it to the machine shop?

CIVICLILY

5+ Year Member
RonJ - thank you so much. i really appreciate the help!
Now my second question lol - obviously if im going to take a look at this car i cant just whip this guys cars head off, so is there any good "tell tale" signs to look for as far as a warped head?

RonJ

Banned
obviously if im going to take a look at this car i cant just whip this guys cars head off, so is there any good "tell tale" signs to look for as far as a warped head?
No.

In fact, my recommendation would be to avoid purchasing a car in which the engine is likely to have been severely overheated. You will likely need to replace such an engine, and it sounds like you don't want to do this.

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Just find a car that's not broken to god knows what extend lol.