buy ebay rotors or spend the big bucks?

lil_boostie

ok looking at getting a set of rotors for my '96 civic ex. i can find a set of them that are drilled/slotted for $75-80 on ebay that also come with pads.. or spend like $105-130 on summit they have a few options but then got to buy pads for like another $50-60.. so any one else gotten the ebay rotors and having issues with them? i got them before for my camaro and seemed fine but didnt have the car for long.. just want to see what you guys think..

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
you want to trust your life with some s**t product off of ebay? i dont

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
why dou you need drilled/slotted rotors are you tracking your car ???

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
same question^^
Why don't you just head over to Kragen or something and get some regular pads and rotors.

Cooper76

I bought power slot rotors and ceramic pads over 10,000 miles ago for my 98 civic on Ebay and haven't had any problems with them. I would also say that they perform a lot better then the last OE set that I put on them.

lil_boostie

cause they look f####ing sweet what more of reason do you need? and im just seeing what experience people have had with them. thanx for the feedback Cooper just seeing what you guys think. why buy regular parts i got a turbo civic to stop here lol..

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
sloted rotors are good in the rain but drilled rotors aren't going to help on a daily driver. drilled and slotted means less surface area for your pads to contact. pads on the other hand will make a big difference. i would just get oem rotors and upgraded pads like hawk HPS.

Cooper76

LOL... I'm running a LS turbo swap, and I am happy with the fact that I put on the slotted rotors and ceramic pads. I tend to drive a little too aggressive then I should.

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
accelerating is optional. stopping is mandatory. buy brembo blanks for your car and quality pads. there are plenty of places to make your car look cool that do not involve the second most important life safety system on the vehicle (first being your tires).

drilled and slotted rotors have no place on street cars. theres a reason almost no cars, short of full on exotics with carbon brakes have them from the factory, and the ones that do come with them cost several hundred to thousands of dollars EACH. for example, the r35 nissan gtr has drilled rotors from the factory. their rotors cost $1200 each for the front, and $900 each for the rear, and- get this- they have problems cracking. aftermarket rotors (which go for double the cost of the stock ones) for gtr's are often blank or just slotted, only a few drilled, and most drilled are marketed as competition only.

do you think those s***ty, $75 ebay rotors share anything in common with a set of rotors that cost more than most of the cars on this site? if you are driving a race car, and can afford to replace your rotors every few track days with real racing rotors, by all means, get drilled and slotted rotors. they will reduce heat soak from repeated full effort stops with little cooling time. however, because they heat up and cool down faster, the metal fatigues faster and with less weight, theres less heat sink material, increasing peak temps, further increasing the likely hood of a crack forming. see below for a 10 second google search of ebay brake rotors- the quote on the last pic says it all:

BLU CIVIC

I ❤ VIR
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
orilley's rotors with Hawk HP+ pads. great combination since i track my car. rotors get worn, take them back b/c the come with a lifetime warranty. i had Baer Decela drilled and slotted rotors but sold them after people talked some scenes into me. BTW they were only $70 from AutoZone

CDubs

Registered VIP
handlbars you said you were from Avon rite ?.
thats not random or anything haha

back on topic, i would never get ebay s***, i want to live, just get OE replacements and ceramic pads, you need to stop a turbo civic, try stopping a WRX Wagon

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ummm most true race cars don't even use slotted/drilled rotors.

Brake pad technology has advanced so far that they are not needed. Also, having slotted and/or drilled rotors REDUCES the friction surface area. I can bet about 98% of the people on this forum will never heat their pads enough and continuously to seriously require drastic brake cooling methods. How many have ever had brake fade on the street? Or have EVER had brake fade to the point they need to stop and let them cool? It can simply be solved by getting good brake pads. What I'm saying is buy a generic blank rotor and a good brake pad. That is all you will ever need. Look around the Road Race/AutoX forum on HT, a lot of those guys run generic blank rotors on their race cars because they work and are cheap.

If you're going for bling, then go with a good name brand slotted rotor. Brembo and Powerslot are good. You really want to trust your life and others lives just to save a measly $50 or w/e? Sure hope you don't drive anywhere near me...

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Brembo blanks for the win.

Try tirerack.com. They have some pretty good deals.

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
handlbars you said you were from Avon rite ?.
No, I'm east of the river.

thats not random or anything haha

back on topic, i would never get ebay s***, i want to live, just get OE replacements and ceramic pads, you need to stop a turbo civic, try stopping a WRX Wagon
I hear wrx wagons are seriously hard to stop. True facts!

lil_boostie

thanx for the info glad i started a thread that got alot of attention that was the main goal ofcourse. ill prolly end up gettin a set of pads and rotors from Napa since i work for a Napa autocar center..
but looking at brake peformance they have a 2year warranty against cracks so thats a good deal i would say..

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Slotted/drilled are more prone to cracking. You don't need them. Most race cars don't even use them.

Blanks are the best. Better pads > slotted/drilled rotors. If you want more stopping power, get a rear disc conversion. If you want even more stopping power, get bigger brakes with more pistons in the calipers.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
shouldnt be going fast enough to need better brakes =)