Buying a 2000 Si, advice

RHennin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Since someone hit my car two weeks ago, I've been looking around and pretty much settled on getting 99-00 Si. I found one near asheville, nc and it seems to have checked out just from conversations and alot of online fact checking. I'm going to actually test drive and look over the car on sunday and just wanted to know if anyone has any specific advice on what to look for relating to issues and problems. I'm going to try to check all the panels, trans and engine w/ the vin # to make sure that everything looks ok. I'm also going to look under the car and also inspect the motor and trans and everything else to make sure that nothing major is broken or leaking etc... Any advice is appreciated.

RebuiltSi

5+ Year Member
how many miles are on the car? timing belt service done? check around the edges of the head for any small leaks... also put the wires out and check for oil in the spark plug holes.. i just bought a 99si thought i had a good inspection buy a UTI professor. Ended up having a cracked head less than 2 weeks later... sh*tty luck? or bad inspection, your call. just be careful

stolibears

Use your dipstick Jimmy!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
the only I can think that have gone wrong on my si is the window falling off track and my iacv had to get replaced at about 60K.

the only factory recall junk was that gromet thing on for the floor mats in the front and I think some people had some noise come from the sunroof which they got the honda dealer to fix.

otherwise as long as it's stock, it's a pretty solid car.

RHennin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yea, the car is stock w/ 94000. Its a 2000 and the only thing that the guy said thats ever been put on the car is an exhaust by the 2nd owner which was replaced w/ the oem exhaust when it was sold to the current (3rd) owner. The current owner said he was good friends w/ the previous owner. The car also comes w/ a 26k warranty that covers drivetrain and alot of other key components.

zipppablo

5+ Year Member
96000 you looking @ replacing timing belt pretty soon, also water pump and all around belts are recomended.

good luck.

RHennin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
not 100% sure on the exact price, but its def. a good price

Redbone

Movin on up...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
make sure the cooling hoses are in good shape too cause those bitches like to explode if they are original.

jpcrash

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
buy one that is honda cirtified so you get a warrenty backed by honda. s**t nevermind, that has to be an 2002 or newer. just suck up the $400 month car payment at 60 months and get a new si

Ominous G2

ClubIntegra.com
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That over twice as much as mine, for almost twice as long.

aaren99

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Seems that your on the right track about what to look for. Definitely check over engine and trans, other than that regular mantenance stuff such as belts, hoses, tires, cv boots, fluids. About the warranty, if you go through with it make sure you get something in writing...dont just take their word on it.

Suanico

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
drive it around make sure the synchros in the tarnny arent going bad, make sure it doesn't bog or have low rpms, check for leaks and make sure it hasn't been stolen rebuild, check the vin numbers all on the body parts to make sure they match

RHennin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
does anyone have any advice on where I can find the vin # on the main body panels? Should it just be on a sticker that I should be able to clearly find on the backside of the panels such as the bumpers etc...

JiuJitsu_greg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Well, if you are going to check everything that's about all you can check right? Seriously I would check the plugs, check the cv boots, check under the car for oil residue and leaks. Also, if this guy is your friend as to hold on to it for a few days, maybe send it to honda to check or regular mechanic.

RHennin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Anyone know where exactly I can find the corresponding vin #s on the main body panels?

SweetEBPSi

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
There are many areas you can get the VIN. Inside the drivers side door is one spot. It is also stamped on the firewall by the fuel filter.