Buying a B18 without papers

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey guys, so I've been searching for a b18c1 engine to drop into my eg. Just trying to find something on the cheaper side that I could rebuild myself for the experience but I really won't be able to drop in in till summer even if I do find one so I'm not trying to rush anything. Anyway found an alright one but the guy doesn't have a papers for it. He swears that he bought it legitimately ad even called up Acura recently to try to figure this out but he never got the papers for it. Don't really want to deal with it if it's going to be a problem but $900 for complete swap seemed like it was worth at least asking. So here's the question;

If I were to purchase the engine could I just have him sign a bill of sale and be fine with that. I live in Cali so I'll be getting the car BAR'd when I'm done, so will a bill of sale from him be good enough for the reffs if the engines actually legit like he says it is. If so I'm going to ask him for the vin and double check it on carfax but I just want to make sure that just a bill of sale from this guy will be enough

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Bill of sale won't do s**t if it is not legit. If it turns out that it is stolen or something, they will take the motor and you are assed out of your money.

You have to ask yourself...why is he selling it so low. Why does he not have the papers. If he called up Acura to figure it out but didn't get the papers why did he go through the trouble and not follow through.

I wouldn't touch it unless he comes up with proof. That or get the numbers off it and call it in yourself to make sure it is legit.

emerican

Registered VIP
^ agreed but if it is legit this link seems like it would get you what you needed

i didnt read this whole thing but it seems as if you may be able to do it with only bill of sale they are registering entire kit cars so i dont see why if it is legit that an engine would be a problem if this didnt help i apolgize but all i could find on it
http://www.nckcc.com/referenceinfo.html

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah like I said I'm not in a major hurry to pick up this engine right now. Reason he's selling so low is because it has almost 200k miles and he said it was running rough and the rotor on the dizzy was chipped so really its the full swap but the dizzy, but it compression tested ok, which isn't a major issue since I'd be rebuilding anyway. I really just want to know what paper work is necessary, because if i get a bill of sale with his name, address, license number etc then he would be an idiot to give me a stolen engine. So yeah just want to know what papers I would need to get it BAR'd and if I'm going to have problems cuz if so then I'd rather not bother with it.

emerican

Registered VIP
read through that link it gives you links to the dmv and another place and tells what they need to register entire kit cars im sure it covers engines in there somewhere

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
read through that link it gives you links to the dmv and another place and tells what they need to register entire kit cars im sure it covers engines in there somewhere
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe that simple engine swaps qualify your car as a kit car over here, at least not from what I read here http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/replace.htm Thanks for the link though, its quite informative

emerican

Registered VIP
i wasnt saying it qualifys it as a kit car it does not but if its a kit car then it will have an engine swap as well and i was hopping it had a link to how to register the engine itself if it didnt i apoligize

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^^Naw don't apologize dude, I thank u for actually trying to help out. I've been googling for hours and I pm'd so many people who have gotten there stuff BAR'd but to no avail. It's nice that there are at least a few people who still try to help out XD

emerican

Registered VIP
Yeah i feel your pain man to many people wont even try and help thats why i tried, your very welcome i work night so ill be up for a while and this has given me sumthin to do and read up on lol hopefully i can find something on it

emerican

Registered VIP
may have Found it the only regualtions that are listed are

Engine Changes
Engine changes are legal as long as the following requirements are met to ensure that the change does not increase pollution from the vehicle:

* The engine must be the same year or newer than the vehicle.

* The engine must be from the same type of vehicle (passenger car, light-duty truck, heavy-duty truck, etc.) based on gross vehicle weight.

* If the vehicle is a California certified vehicle then the engine must also be a California certified engine.

* All emissions control equipment must remain on the installed engine.

After an engine change, vehicles must first be inspected by a state referee station. The vehicle will be inspected to ensure that all the equipment required is in place, and vehicle will be emissions tested subject to the specifications of the installed engine.

link to some one who went throught the refree http://www.performanceforum.com/wesvann/honda/cert/cert.html

link to other honda forum where they answered this http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1983150

direct post from that site

Having a mechanic do the install might not be a bad idea, make sure he knows you are planning on getting the engine BAR'd at the state ref and that you need all emission equipment hooked up accordingly. Make sure you have a copy of his registration showing the VIN so they can match it up to the VIN plate on the engine, along with a bill of sale.

emerican

Registered VIP
Have also found a ton of posts on other honda websites that say that as long as you have paperwork to prove you bought it legit its fine bill of sale so as long as the motors number will come back clean then it should be ok by everything i could find just have to make 100 percent sure that number will come back legit

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks man thats actually really helpful, gave up an went to play xbox for a while so came to check one last time b4 hittin the sack you rock :thumbs up

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Your best shot would be to contact the people that actually do the BAR certification. They know what they are looking for and can give you the best advice on which direction you need to go. Best we could do on here would be to give second/third/fourth hand accounts of what others have done. Your situation might be different than that of some random dude on a forum.

By contacting the right people you will be able to do it correctly the first time instead of having to change or add something that might be left out of the description on a pm or forum.

emerican

Registered VIP
^ thats pretty much what those links tell him it lists all the regs and what to expect when he contacts the refree and how much some stuff may cost but your right thats the best thing to do those links just tell him other peoples experinces with the refree and what the engine had to be and have on it and what year and all so he has at least a base to start from

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks you guys have definitely been helpful. Got to talk to the dude again today, told him i need papers and he said tomorrow he'd call up a state reff to see if he could get it transferred into his name so he can sell it. Crossing my fingers hoping this works out. Thanks again guys!:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

emerican

Registered VIP
Hope it works out good for you defintly let me know id like to know how it turns out in the end