Buying a new car, any tips. Might be trading in my 99 ex

civic_noobie

5+ Year Member
Okay guys, I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right pace, probably not. But I'm apologizing in advanced. I'm not here to sell it though if a offer pops up I wouldn't mind seeing how that goes.

I have a 99 honda civic ex that I've had since high school I just now graduated college 2 months ago and now I feel like its time for a new car. This car has been through a lot the last couple years, auto to manuel conversion and various other things can led me to leave my car home and carpool with a friend. Right now what the main problem for the car is because my radiator blew out on my a couple months ago my mechanic says it couldve damaged the head when it overheats like that. Every week I have to refill the reservoir tank with anti-freeze or water sometimes when I don't have anti-freeze. And I'll get a hint of burning anti-freeze, maybe the engine is eating it up or theres a leak somewhere in the back of the engine by the intake manifold that's leaking and can;t find it. Any ways I feel like its time to let go of this car and either trade it in for a new car or get whatever I can out of it.

So my question is before I go get an appraisal for it, what will I most likely get for it. It runs crappy with the ac on, my right passenger window gets stuck when going up so you have to roll it all the way down and back up, some one poured glue on my window causing it get stuck like that. On the drivers side the rubber raliling on the window is gone. The carpet in the trunk is gone as well, during a hurricane water leaked in from the trunk and gave off a bad order so I cut it off. The check engine light will always be on, long story. I just want an idea of how much I will really be expecting I know I'm not expecting a lot and maybe some tips when purchasing a new car as far contracts, how to tell your dealer is bs'ing, that kind of stuff. Hell if they don;t take my car i'll just save it as a project car maybe :cool:

StilAHondaFreak

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
From the sound of things, you'll be better off keeping it, or maybe try craigslist. A dealership won't give you much more than $500 in it's current condition. To get an idea of a ballpark value, go to kbb.com or another similar site, enter in all your information, and when it asks you for the condition, put poor. I'm not hating on your car, it's probably not nearly as bad as you think it is, but this is just a rough estimate of value.

Welcome to the site btw, and glws.

I'd buy it myself, if I weren't broke as a joke lol

Sent from my craptastic metro pcs android using Tapatalk2

Trekk

Registered VIP
Most will take it as long as it doesn't have a rebuilt title. We get cars like that all the time. We just send them off to auction and sell them that way. What you will get for it might be next to nothing. Dealers move lots of numbers around so while they might say "we'll give you $1,500" it might really equal $500 and $1000 off the new car.

You could try to sell it yourself for more money, but most people that want to get into a new car don't want to mess with the old one. Then you'd have to haggle that $1000 out of the dealer to make it worth the effort.

civic_noobie

5+ Year Member
Yeah I kind of figured I wouldn't get much out of it. I just honestly don't want someone to buy it and end up stranded on the street because of it overheating you know.

StilAHondaFreak

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you still have it in a few weeks, I might just come scoop it up from ya, you got any pics?

civic_noobie

5+ Year Member

It's a y5 engine block and head(manual) with y8 manifold and intake (auto)

my car getting towed after the radiator blew out on me

StilAHondaFreak

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yea, I'd come get that b***h RIGHT NOW, if I had any money :/ I have an interview at 2 today though, so maybe soon :thumbup:

civic_noobie

5+ Year Member
lol i never referred my car as a b**** before. But yeah man if I feel like the dealer offers me a bit low I'll definitely hold on to it

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
time for a b series

Trekk

Registered VIP
I'm looking at it from an iPhone but it looks pretty good you could prolly sell it yourself for around 3k. Keep in mind when looking to buy a new car a 25k sticker might be close to 34k by the time you add in tax tag title and finish payments. That's a lot of money in upgrades for your current car =)

StilAHondaFreak

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lol i never referred my car as a b**** before. But yeah man if I feel like the dealer offers me a bit low I'll definitely hold on to it
I apologize if I offended you, I didn't intend to. I'll seriously buy it off you though, if the dealer lowballs you, and you don't want to deal with doing a swap ;)

civic_noobie

5+ Year Member
I apologize if I offended you, I didn't intend to. I'll seriously buy it off you though, if the dealer lowballs you, and you don't want to deal with doing a swap ;)

No man its all good, I just found it funny. And yeah man if anything happens I'll let you know.