Buying advice

Assibilate

Hello. I’m looking to buy my first civic. I just want to know of any common issues I should be looking for or any little quirks they might have? I found a 96 with a bad engine that I want to put a working engine into. Not a B series just another engine to get it in working condition again. Thanks in advance!

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:welcome:

Honestly you're biggest worry with older gen's should be rust and lack of maintenance. If you're down south you shouldn't have to really worry about rust, though. But 6th gen Civic's are basically adult lego's - everything can be upgraded or replaced. I can't really think of anything common that fails on these things other than your typical wear and tear items. Your biggest concern will likely be finding a motor in good working condition.

If you're looking to keep it D-series, I would refrain from the D16Y7 unless you get a great deal on it. A Y8 or Z6 would be your best bet. But to be honest - B-series is a great option and not much more to buy, just slightly more work to do.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Agreed with @XpL0d3r on nearly all key points here. B swaps are still affordable if you can "FIND" the engine in a salvage yard. Individuals and engine selling companies are charging top dollar for VTEC B Series engines and now even starting to charge upwards of $800 for non-VTEC B series engines (B18A1, B18B1, B20B and B20Z engines.

The B20Z is a great starting point for NON-VTEC swaps and builds, and is also a killer starting point if you find a VTEC cylinder head and do a B20VTEC build. The torque on these setups is incredible for under 2.0L of displacement. Best part of the B Series is your transmission options, a lot to choose from as far as gear ratios go and final drives.

Virtually everything you need for a B series swap is in a junk yard, You just have to find the parts where are on declining in availability as each day goes by.

K series, I know was not mentioned but is also becoming INCREDIBLEY affordable with junk yard motors and parts. You can do most of the swap with salvage yard parts but will require some custom bits like engine mounts which are readily available by Hasport.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Agreed! A K swap would be fun! Much more affordable now compared to years ago. A bit more work involved but the outcome would be worth it.