cable b series trans in EF VSS help

nathan_carmona

Registered VIP
i have a b18b1 motor with cable ls trans in my ED7. My speedo is not working. I can twist either end of the cable and see the other side spin at the same rate so i think the cable is fine. Now from what I know, since the trans is from a DA, they had a set up for the power steering that was incorporated with the VSS so the power steering would offer different levels of assistance at different speeds. So, since I dont have power steering, the set up is now definitely different, so IDK what it should be.

my guess would be that the VSS is bad, but I thought that the VSS was apart of the speedo in DA integras.

is that accurate? is it the same in Ef chasis's? what should be my next step to figuring out how to get my speedo working?

codeman76

It works the same way the civic tranny did. Take a hose and connect it to both ends and clamp them where the power steering lines went to. Those lines are not needed.

nathan_carmona

Registered VIP
maybe my question wasnt clear, why isnt my speedo working?

nathan_carmona

Registered VIP
i didnt have the car before the swap. and im aware its one or the other ,but any ideas as to which one or a way to tell?

codeman76

When i did an LS swap with cable tranny in my brothers crx all i did was connect the civic speedo cable to the LS speedometer driven gear and the speedo worked just fine. See if you can borrow another gauge cluster from a friend and swap them out and see if it works. If it still don't work then replace the speedometer driven gear. On all 88-91 civics and 90-93 acura integras with cable tranny wasn't actually referred to as a vss since it is mechanical driven. It is referred to as a speedometer driven gear. The 92 and up civics and 94 and up integras with a hydro tranny have a vss.

ef-doood

i have a b18a1 in my 90 hatch my speedo stopped working to.. so i took out the little sensor part that the cable hooks into.. then put it back in place and it worked again ..