CAI on stock exhaust?

Kamikaze

Sesquipedalian
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey guys, is anyone here running an AEM (or other) CAI with stock exhaust and no other engine mods? I'm thinking that the restricted stock exhaust might help improve what little torque the stock motor has (I know, no replacement for displacement) and CAI alone might also improve mileage...

Of course, the biggest threat to mileage I'd probably have is how much I love the sound of opening up the motor (esp. with a CAI)... has anyone noticed a gain in mpg with just a CAI?

Not sure I want to go with the full header/exhaust setup too, mostly interested in the CAI, but if I'm overlooking the benefits of H/E, let me know!

Thanks for yer input...
B

umair

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
cai will give you the biggest gains.

Show Me Them Titties
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
cai will give you the biggest gains.

or not

you dont know and you never will know because i doubt you wanna spend the extra money to go get it dynoed to find out for a fact if the intake even makes a difference

Kamikaze

Sesquipedalian
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Dyno

Nah, I'm not that serious about the gain (too ecstatic w/current mpg) so it would take a lot for me to pay for the 411 dyno runs provide... just curious if anyone else is running CAI without upgrading H/E at the same time, and wondering if they noticed any difference.

I love the boost/sound of CAI with Exhaust, just don't know if it's worth springing for CAI without also doing H/E at the same time. If doing I/H/E in combination would product substanital (>10%) gain, then I'd consider going that way...

TIA for all the input
B

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You can get one if you want one but it won't affect your horsepower or mileage enough to notice. It may give you like .5mpg better or .5hp increase but some intakes and exhuasts even make less power. If you like the sound then go for it but I wouldn't do it with performance in mind.

If you get I/H/E and a high flow cat on a d-series you're probably still looking at less than 10hp increase and not really any noticeable difference in fuel economy

Kamikaze

Sesquipedalian
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Really?

So you're saying that even with full I/H/E it's maybe only +10hp? Gah.

When I bought her, I was planning on dropping in a teg motor and boosting it, maybe it's time to revisit that strategy.

Do you guys find yourselves having to balance the desire for power vs. fuel costs? I hate that I have no power, but also love that I get such great mileage...

Maybe I should go back to bikes for to satisfy my power/mileage cravings :mrgreen:

darkstormcr

5+ Year Member
I am running a stock D15B with a short ram. I have used cold air before, and I honestly don't notice any difference mileage or power wise between the two. It does make it sound better than stock exhaust and it doesn't snail when getting on the freeways and stuff...other than that still pretty weak.