Cai Or Short Ram

2kstreetcivic

Runnin to Redline
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
oc_civic said:
dude you took it the wrong way.. i have a s**t load of bolt ons and nitrous.. so no turbo... but its pretty quick for a single cam.. and that is my point.. absolutely no disrepsct.. but why make a "starter mod" that does NOTHING.. just to feel like you are modding the car??? i mean lets keep it real for a second..

say you want straight line performance:

intake/header/ exhaust.... AGAIN....EVEN if you go gangster and get knock of s**t.. you are at at least 4-500 and net what 10 hp at the wheels well no probably not but ill give you ten for the argument...

nitrous... used kit $3-400 new kit $4-600 and anywhere from 25-70 hp

say you are an autoX guy...

intake/header/ exhaust.... AGAIN....EVEN if you go gangster and get knock of s**t.. you are at at least 4-500 and net what 10 hp at the wheels well no probably not but ill give you ten for the argument...

tein basics... $5-600 great handling more enjoyable sporty ride...

NOW THATS what im saying.. get it??? really.. NOT trying to be an a*****e ;)
we arent arguing how much hp gains you get from this....we are talking just about CAI vs SRI....the both are going to make the same hp except CAI will probably make 1 hp more or so because its actually pulling in cooler air but who cares about 1 hp.....when you are talking about CAI vs SRI you are basically aruging on what sound do you want....SRI will give you a higher pitched sound while CAI will give you a deeper sound....As for I H E vs Nitous, no s**t Nitrous will give you more gains...but people dont put I H E on thier cars thinking that they are going to go out and win races unless you are some ricer and you think that an AEM sticker will give you 5 hp per sticker....Most of the time people put I H E on thier cars, from my experience of being around people that mod imports, to get a nice sound, better pull from the throttle, and slightly better gas mileage....no one that wants to really drag or auotx will just put I H E if they REALLY want to compete....but even saying that is irrelevant...because in auotxing someone with the BIGGEST fasted car ever could get beat by a stock engine car if the stock engine car had a sweet suspension set up and the fast car didnt...plus you gotta throw driver skill in there....so those arent really relevant examples...As foryou being an a*****e, I never said that....I think that we just misunderstood each other...because I was just comenting on that CAI is BETTER than stock air boxes in the fact that YES you will get MORE hp from CAI than stock air box...no you wont get 10000000 hp from CAI but you will get more than a stock air box because there are LESS restrictions...And to argue that over getting CAI vs SRI because one will give you more hp is dumb too....you are looking at 1-2 hp difference IF EVEN THAT....so just base your decision off of what sound you want or you dont want to risk hydrolocking...

NOW THATS ALL I AM SAYING..... :thumbs up

01S2K

VTEC Worshipper
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
:werd: :wgaf:

BosanskaTrava

TYPE R
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Short Ram is the way i went..... no fear of hydro-locking... but i would DEFINETLY GO WITH CAI if i lived in parts were there arent alot of floods... if u live in cali.... CAI... u live in IOWA... SHORT RAM...............damn i gotta move from iowa....................Jebem vam mater u iovi.... thats a lil bosnian for u guys

GreyGoose

"Itz nuthin"
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
when i got my car, it had an aem short ram. just the other day, i bought an aem cold air for 40 bucks, and as soon as i installed it, i sold the short ram. so the cai basically paid for itself. that was the only reason i got the cold air and the fact that it was blue. anyways, i dont feel a difference what so ever between the two. i say, if you already have a short ram-keep it, dont spend the 200 bucks on a cold air, not worth it in my opionion.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i think ima order the k&n cold air...150 bucks...sounds killer...

BosanskaTrava

TYPE R
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if ur gonna buy a CAI get the AEM V2.... no better in my opinion...... unless u can find a nice Injen one

4thengine

Acne Records Rep.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
WOW! Such animosity over something so trivial.... and a s**t load of misinformation on top of that.

1. People DO buy these for a variety of reasons. Sound and a "cleaner" looking engine bay included.
2. Not all cars come with any form of intake. Many times engines are shipped without them. So what are those of us who started with a rolling chassis instead of a complete car going to do? Answer: Buy an intake.
3. Hydro locking is rare.
4. The BIGGEST drawback to CAI is either the fact that cheap ones rub against the hole in your fender and get another hole over time, or that the filter is so close to the dirt, and so unconvenient to change.
5. Heat shields are available for SRI.... Or you can make your own.... Or you can make your own filter box...
6. Intake is not meant to be a standalone mod. It is meant to compliment other mods you made to your engine... Actually, very few mods stand alone.

zzzpoohzzz

quitter
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
heh good work 4th... where is hazleton... im from right around north of pittsburgh

4thengine

Acne Records Rep.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
zzzpoohzzz said:
heh good work 4th... where is hazleton... im from right around north of pittsburgh
Hazleton is just south of Wilkes-Barre.

and it's right where I80 and I81 intersect.

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i have short ram. i notice a small difference, not much but it does have that mid to high end power. i get this little power kick when i get 5k rpm to red line and plus it sounds really cool. dince i do have the y7 im not gonna do any more mods i think. i wanna get a engine swap done in the spring or so. just hit up ebay and get a short ram from there or you could even make your own=)

Apex1185

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Short ram...search for "Hydrolock" in the archives and you should see why.

4thengine

Acne Records Rep.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Apex1185 said:
Short ram...search for "Hydrolock" in the archives and you should see why.
Hydrolock happens to those who mistake their car for a boat... and not many others.