CAM QUESTIONS ON A d16y8

19josh97

RaWr Vtexz
5+ Year Member
Ok seriously...So many people tell me about cams. How hard is it to change your cam? Worth it without a swap? Or what...I Need info!!! Yes newb here =)

DetainedCivic

I haz SR20
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ok seriously...So many people tell me about cams. How hard is it to change your cam? Worth it without a swap? Or what...I Need info!!! Yes newb here =)
Easy to change out. Once done I would get a tune so you can utilize the cam.

Well it's easy for me because I have done so many, but basically make sure the piston 1 is at TDC (top dead center) just to make it easy to get back into time. Pull the valve cover, loosen the timing belt, pull the cam bolts, pull came out, put back together.

I would upgrade springs and valves as well but thats me. Also make sure you know your torque specs and tightening sequence.

Good luck.

ej2rey

No Boost! No Life!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Easy to change out. Once done I would get a tune so you can utilize the cam.

Well it's easy for me because I have done so many, but basically make sure the piston 1 is at TDC (top dead center) just to make it easy to get back into time. Pull the valve cover, loosen the timing belt, pull the cam bolts, pull came out, put back together.

I would upgrade springs and valves as well but thats me. Also make sure you know your torque specs and tightening sequence.

Good luck.
x2
And just to add to this the tools you'll need will be a ratchet, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14mm sockets and most important a torque wrench.

Here's the torque specs:

Camshaft Holder 8mm Bolts.....14-15ft lbs
Camshaft Holder 6mm Bolts.....104 inch lbs
Camshaft Pulley Bolt.......27ft lbs
Timing Belt tentioner Bolt.....33ft lbs
No sequence just make sure you tighten them to the right pounds.

_Ben_W

5+ Year Member
Plan out what you want to do. Dont be a goober and just throw in parts without researching. If you boost, save your money and later on, you will want to get a bisimoto stage 1.2 or 2.2 turbo cam. If you want to go n/a, bisimoto has a good stage 1 regrind cam that you don't have to tune. Anything more than a stage 1 cam and you will need to upgrade your springs and retainers and get a good tune. It all depends on the master plan. There is power in the d, you just have to plan and build it right.

ej2rey

No Boost! No Life!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Plan out what you want to do. Dont be a goober and just throw in parts without researching. If you boost, save your money and later on, you will want to get a bisimoto stage 1.2 or 2.2 turbo cam. If you want to go n/a, bisimoto has a good stage 1 regrind cam that you don't have to tune. Anything more than a stage 1 cam and you will need to upgrade your springs and retainers and get a good tune. It all depends on the master plan. There is power in the d, you just have to plan and build it right.
^^agree

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
x2
And just to add to this the tools you'll need will be a ratchet, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14mm sockets and most important a torque wrench.

Here's the torque specs:

Camshaft Holder 8mm Bolts.....14-15ft lbs
Camshaft Holder 6mm Bolts.....104 inch lbs
Camshaft Pulley Bolt.......27ft lbs
Timing Belt tentioner Bolt.....33ft lbs
No sequence just make sure you tighten them to the right pounds.
I believe there is a sequence so as to not warp things up.... but im not 100% sure.

ej2rey

No Boost! No Life!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I believe there is a sequence so as to not warp things up.... but im not 100% sure.
I thought so too before but there isn't. The caps are independent aren't like the b series which have a metal slide that goes on top of the caps and connects the caps together so they use a sequence.

Not for single cam tho. I just put a head together and didn't use a sequence just torque.

SleepingSol

10sec dd or BUST
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would suggest no matter what cam you go with to get a tune, even a stage one. No matter what stage cam you get it will have different specs than the stock cam. Granted a stage oone cam will run with out a tune but it will more than likely not run well

ej2rey

No Boost! No Life!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I would suggest no matter what cam you go with to get a tune, even a stage one. No matter what stage cam you get it will have different specs than the stock cam. Granted a stage oone cam will run with out a tune but it will more than likely not run well
True that!
Tunning is the key behind every succesful build.

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I thought so too before but there isn't. The caps are independent aren't like the b series which have a metal slide that goes on top of the caps and connects the caps together so they use a sequence.

Not for single cam tho. I just put a head together and didn't use a sequence just torque.
umm there is a sequence... look at the haynes manual. trust me, i just took my head off and had to look at the book to remember the pattern again.

bisi makes the BEST sohc stuff! but its expensive... if you want a good cam for a decent price Crower stg 3 is awesome.
and ditto on getting a tune... it will bring out all the hidden HP.