1. New Forum Software:
    We have finally upgraded the forum software due to it being so outdated. If you are having any issues with new forum please let us know. Please post any issues in this thread http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/clubcivic-com-forum-upgrade.227221/

Can a D16Y7 transmission work on a D16Y8 engine?

Discussion in 'Engine Tech / Drivetrain' started by tedwards, Dec 23, 2010.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. tedwards

tedwards New Member

I am considering buying a D16Y8 but it comes with an auto tranny. I don't think the auto ECU works on the manual engine, and I could be wrong. But am I able to use the manual D16Y7 transmission on the new D16Y8 engine if I can get the right ECU? Thanks.

2. XpL0d3r

XpL0d3r What Civic? Staff Member Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member

Yes, but you'll need way more than just a transmission and an ECU for an auto to manual conversion. You actually can use an auto ECU with a 5 speed... I left my stock auto ECU in my car after we did my conversion for about a month... wasn't too much different other than my auto cluster was flashing P and D at the same time...

For a complete list of parts you'll need to convert to 5 speed, check THIS

3. AllStockHatch

AllStockHatch Unregistered User Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

I'm running a y8 tranny on my y7 motor, bolts right up.

4. tedwards

tedwards New Member

My current car is already manual

Hey, my current EX Hatchback is manual, but I am buying a D16Y8 from another civic but its an automatic. So you`re saying that the D-series transmission will bolt right up and the ECU doesn`t matter whether it`s 5 spd or auto?