Can an Underdrive pulley damage a d16?

RHennin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have to get my timing belt replaced soon and I have been thinking about putting on an underdrive pulley while I do the timing belt and water pump just because it is relatively cheap and is a mod that I planned on doing. Does anyone know if putting on any other pulley esp. an underdrive pulley even with the corrected belts than the original pulley will damage my motor? I have heard from a few people that it would cause more wear on the bearings because it is supposedly balanced with the motor and because the motor is an "interference" motor. I dont exactly know what this means "interference". PLEASE HELP Thanks

Sorry if this is almost like a repost, I searched and didnt really find anything that was enough info.

bcivichb

Driving South
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
im no pro but ive only heard bad things. you can never go wrong with oem

gearbox

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yes it will damage it. stock pulley has a harmonic damper built in to dissipate crank vibration. aftermarket does not. and interference just refers to the engine design. pistons and valves working together, which needs to be timed so they dont bang into each other.

CacheHX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
im in the same boat and im getting my motor rebuilt so they could balance it for me with the crank pulley on, what would you say about that.

what would happen if i only put the pulleys on for the accessories and not the crank

nightryder99

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
CacheHX said:
im in the same boat and im getting my motor rebuilt so they could balance it for me with the crank pulley on, what would you say about that.

what would happen if i only put the pulleys on for the accessories and not the crank
underdriving the accesories isn't a bad idea if ur not running a juiced up sound system
but the crank pulley is something you should stay away from, besides AEM doesnt manufacture the crank pulley because its not a reliable modification ... I know this because I called them myself when I was looking into it..I would rather look into a cam gear or a intake manifold if i where you, those would be more beneficial mods
but then again that would throw you off into looking at ECus and stuff
gl

gearbox

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i tried the aem alternator pulley (no subs just deck) and my alternator died 2 months later. i only had it for 2 years total since it was brand new with the car. still have the ps pulley because it doesnt affect the pump due to its design.

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if you put a underdrive crank pully on...some of the ones out there are smaller than the original one..therefore all the accessorys are gonna spin faster...like the post above..you alt will die out quicker from it. if your oinly doin it for show and not for performance . i would get it sandblasted or powdercoated if all you want is show.

watisjdm

Clit Commander
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
gearbox said:
i tried the aem alternator pulley (no subs just deck) and my alternator died 2 months later. i only had it for 2 years total since it was brand new with the car. still have the ps pulley because it doesnt affect the pump due to its design.
so if i put my ps and alternator pulleys on my alternator will more than likely die in less than a month......i have system,guages etc

xzodiackillerx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
watisjdm said:
so if i put my ps and alternator pulleys on my alternator will more than likely die in less than a month......i have system,guages etc

it spins your alt. and PS slower... dont get a crank pully get the ones for the PS and ALT.

gearbox

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ps will do no harm. you will not feel any difference, and the way the pump was designed, it wont be damaged. now the alt pulley will reduce the amount of power produced, so basically you will be running the alt non stop just to keep up with the car's normal accessories. this will burn it out very quickly, since it was not meant to be used continuously. with the stock pulley, it makes enough power that the ELD will actually switch it off and transfer over to battery power. it does this back and forth depending on the electrical load. Also keep in mind, the system (amps, subs) is not wired to the ELD so essentially you are "hiding" this from the car ecu. it is just an extra drain so by itself shouldnt cause problems with normal car function (unless you play it too loud and kill the battery).