Can I pose a question

ssmith97dx

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just a thought:

Why is it that every time somebody asks a question about reasonable upgrades there is a large number of responses telling the individual to do a $5000 upgrade? For instance: Somebody on here asked about upgrading the components of his engine (this is the most common) and people here respond with swap... Swap...SWAP!!

For those of you who don't know, not all of us are willing to have a $4000 - $7000 credit card bill just for our car. Some of us out there like to do simple, DIY upgrades that are low in cost. Instead of flamming someone try helping them.

This is not meant to lash out at everybody, just the ones who are telling people who want to do a $400 upgrade to instead do a $4000 upgrade. And if you are going to tell them to swap give them the details, and I don't mean "D-series suck, you are stupid if you don't go B-series..." :roll:

P.S. Let the flaming begin ADMINS: Please don't move, this is for 6th Gen (D-B swap ;) )

Rand0m

Adamantium Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
no flaming here...i agree with you, people are a little quick to yell swap...not EVERYONE though, but still, a good number of members...are you looking for examples of what you can do? or was this just a hypothetical question you wanted to get off your chest?...btw, welcome to CC

ssmith97dx

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Nah, not asking for or looking for anything. I have been a member of other forums (Jeeper for life) for years and this is the first one that I have come across that people tend to "jump the gun" on so quickly. Maybe it is the fact that a good number of people in here a young (again this is not a blanket statement).

I just thought I would pose the question. Again, This was not directed at everyone or anyone in particular. There are some really F-ing smart people in here who have forgotten more than I will ever know about stuff. :mrgreen:

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
i believe it's because lots of people here on clubcivic have quite a bit of money. i'm not sure though, but everyone is sure as hell richer than i am.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
lol yeah, i wish i had a good paying job so i could be pimpin out my civic as well. .. . but for right now i'm glad my d16 isn't boosted, because gas prices would f'n kill me. lol.

Zak8022

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
im with ya there anfrey. i dont have the money to do alot of stuff to my car. the things i have done are pretty minor in the scope of things.

to answer part of your question ssmith97dx, i think some people's thinking is that the b series swap will be able to have more overall potential than the d series. now, i know this is highly debated, and im not tryin to bring that up again. im just sayin that may explain why people jump the gun sometimes. i know that i am doing any mods to my d16 because i do plan to swap down the road, and i dont want to spend the money on something i wont have/need for the end product. but thats just my opinion. i have nothing against building up a d series... i know it can have a great potential.. its just not what i want to do. what can i say, im a sucker for a dohc. =)

95AccordLX

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
They jump to say swap cause thats your bets bet...save for a new motor instead of wasting your money on something that'll give you 5hp...

DirtyD

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
95AccordLX said:
They jump to say swap cause thats your bets bet...save for a new motor instead of wasting your money on something that'll give you 5hp...
exactly, everyone starts these threads saying they want more speed.. hate to break it to ya but you aren't getting speed with out spending money

you know what I hate even more than flaming? people making stupid threads to complain about it

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Swaps are cool...being poor sucks.

My disappointment in my D16Z6 is just proof that the cause of suffering is wanting...I want a K20and I suffer...

flaming happens...

Last edited:

DirtyD

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Beelzebubba said:
Swaps are cool...being poor sucks.

My disappointment in my D16Z6 is just proof that the cause of suffering is wanting...I want a K20a3 and I suffer...

flaming happens...
I'm selling my D and after I'm done school I decided on buying an EK and swap in a K20 :drool: I want to be the first in the city

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
i'm aiming to get myself another d16 engine and building that on the side.

ssmith97dx

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
dirtyd16 said:
exactly, everyone starts these threads saying they want more speed.. hate to break it to ya but you aren't getting speed with out spending money

you know what I hate even more than flaming? people making stupid threads to complain about it
I guess I was right with the whole age thing. It is sad when a couple of kids can cause people to associate Honda's with punks sometimes.

Dirtyd16: If I was complaining I would have been a bit more rude and confrontational (have you learned that word in school yet). Instead I was being inquisitive and curious about why people here suggested things that aren’t realistic for some people. Some of us don't plan on having the fastest car, brightest lights or the
"...I want to be the first in the city.."
with this engine attitude. All we want is a clean car with a little more oomph in the engine.

banzai

Exit Speed Garage
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
SWAP THIS THREAD!!! BLAHAHA just kidding, dont ban me. I totally agree, but if people want to go fast than anything worth while is going to cost money. I say don't waste money on the small bolt ons, like we all have hehe. But save and buy something big. I have been saving for months and months for my turbo...=)

ssmith97dx

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Now the turbo route is something I would definetly support. BUT!! I would have to go the DIY Turbo route for my D16Y7 just because of the price and for the shear challenge of putting it togethor.

But then again, I don't plan on lowering it, putting an exhaust on it or any thing else like that. Since I only bought the thing for $4000 and plan on driving it for no more than 2 or 3 years why put all the cash into it? Instead, I will do the small "stupid/senseless" stuff that don't cost me an arm and a leg.

The biggest thing to me is, if you are going to spen $5000 on an engine swap, why not use the money to put a down payment on a car? Most importantly, put it into a car that is better to build on; ie a car that has the engine/brakes/tranny you want?

child_racer

Jspek kid
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
munky said:
don't underestimate the SOHC!
amen to that brotha!!!

people should also realize that not everybody wants the maximum horsepower that you can fit in a civic.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
:werd: my goal is just 250 horses.

[civic]

Moderfucker
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
True. Some people may have inquiries about suspension parts but only has the money to fork out $200-$300 or under for a spring/shock combo...then you get other people making them upgrade to Tein This Tein that Tein this Tein that. For about this much of money, you can get this and its much worth it.

Its good that you know your products but not everyone will have the ability to get what the crowd has. "Swap it man, its well worth it instead of fixing up that d16". Who doesnt know that? Otherwise, if everyone had money, theyll all be getting swaps like swapping sex partners.

Give them the answer that pertains to the original question!