can i put wheels back on with no tranny

sweesiong78

5+ Year Member
ok, heres the deal, i wanna do my own clutch job and replace my Input shaft bearing seal. trouble is , i live in an aparment complex in CA that does not allow car to be jacked up overnight. so....i think i can take out the tranny in half a day, but i dont wanna rush the tranny seal change, hence it will be an overnight job.

So...can i simply reinstall the LCA and knuckle, tie up the driveshafts somewhere and reinstall the wheels?

one more thing, someone said that the driveshafts have to come out completely in order to for me to put the suspension back without a tranny, otherwise it will separate...is that true? can i just tie up the inboard side (the side that connects to the tranny) to piece of overhanging wood of the strut, and leave the other side in the wheelhub. than put the suspension and wheels back.

anyone know if the weight of the suspension will cause the axle to pop out of the wheel hub if the inboard side is not connected to the tranny?

brentl21

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yes u can put everthing back together..... just take out the lower strut bolt and take out the axels.... then put the bolt bak in and the lower ball joint and whatever else u have apart then put the wheels on and it will be fine.

sweesiong78

5+ Year Member
yes u can put everthing back together..... just take out the lower strut bolt and take out the axels.... then put the bolt bak in and the lower ball joint and whatever else u have apart then put the wheels on and it will be fine.
thanks, but does the WHOLE driveshaft have to come out (ie from the wheel hubs too) in order for me to put the suspension back together? someone told me if i dont take out the whole driveshaft, when i put the suspension and wheels back, it will cause the driveshafts to separate...is this true?

brentl21

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
idk what u mean separate..... just take the axels out man... lol its one bolt then u just push the strut out of the way and pull the axel out.

si-hatch86

undesputed slowhatch
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
what ever you do dont roll the car around with the wheels on and no axles. the wheel bearings will seperate. i know this from experience. if it just sits itll be fine but dont roll it around

sweesiong78

5+ Year Member
idk what u mean separate..... just take the axels out man... lol its one bolt then u just push the strut out of the way and pull the axel out.
ok thanks and also thanks for the tip on the wheel bearings...i didnt know that rolling the wheels with no axels will cause the wheel bearing to separate...you mean it comes out of its cage?

BTW... my jack is a 2.5 ton 'low profile' (4" lowered) . it lifts to a maximum of about 14-15". will i be able to support the tranny on the jack and just wheel it out? i'm worried i may not have enough clearance with the tranny on the jack. i estimate the tranny is about 15" tall. anyone have trouble sliding out the tranny from under the car with a jack? how about a 3 ton jack?

if i remove the bumper, will my clearance improve slightly?

Jeegz

Did sum1 say mud??
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If its a single cam tranny, they arent that heavy. Just lower it down with the jack then slide it off the jack onto the ground.

JAYYS

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
that jack ill be fine more then enough ive done it with one of those crappy stock jacks its more of where u jack it from if u jack from the middle of the car the front clip ill go higher then if u jack if from the radiator support
lik he ^ said single cams are light this shouldnt take to long

si-hatch86

undesputed slowhatch
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if its a single cam you can pull it out with your arms and lower it to your chest and just wiggle out with it. done this on many cars.

sweesiong78

5+ Year Member
that jack ill be fine more then enough ive done it with one of those crappy stock jacks its more of where u jack it from if u jack from the middle of the car the front clip ill go higher then if u jack if from the radiator support
lik he ^ said single cams are light this shouldnt take to long
thank you all once again. when you say jack it from the middle of the car, where is the support point you jack from? the engine oil pan? or the side supports on the door sills? if its the side supports at the door sills, how can i put my stands on as the jack will be on the jacking points?

Swee

jason_guy_yeah

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Don't put it on your oil pan, you'll crush it. I would say jack it from the front tow hooks and put the jack stands on the lift point (behind the front tires).

Nylore

5+ Year Member
Your 97 civic should have a spot to jack up the car under the front bumper just to the left (right as you are looking from the front of the car) of centre.
I can not explain what it looks like but if you can find a copy of the Service Manual, I understand they can be found online, it shows the jack points at the front and back of the car.

sweesiong78

5+ Year Member
Your 97 civic should have a spot to jack up the car under the front bumper just to the left (right as you are looking from the front of the car) of centre.
I can not explain what it looks like but if you can find a copy of the Service Manual, I understand they can be found online, it shows the jack points at the front and back of the car.
yes i know where the jacking points are, my question was where to jack if i wanted to jack the car up higher....someone was saying to jack the car from the middle...

also i've seen my mechanic jack from the side of the car using i think the side jacking point, but then where can i put the stands as the jack would be on the jacking point.

medorihb

5+ Year Member
under the subframe where the back part of the control arm bolts to the frame. did this many times. i have also set my jack on a few long pieces of wood to gain a couple extra inches. just be careful