Can you do anything to 7th gen ignitions, spark?

02EXSILVER

I have a monkey?
5+ Year Member
There isn't much out there. I think because we use a "coil on plug" you won't find anything, aside from upgrading the spark plug. Even then you need to be carefull. One thing you may want to try, is to ground your Valve Cover where the Coil mounts to it. You can run a daisy change from the drivers side to the passangers. Then a lead from the number 4 (the one on the passanger side) cylinder, to the chassis ground at the radiator support. If you do this, it's also a good time to upgrade the ground from the trans., and the battery too. I did this, and noticed a little smoother idle. (maby it was mental but hey i like it) I used 4ga. wire, but you could use 8, 10, gague too. (I'd stay below 10ga.) I'd get a picture of mine up, but my car is still in the body shop.... maby tomorow....

Ian01ex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Where is the ground on the trans? I did all the other ones but cant find this one.

02EXSILVER

I have a monkey?
5+ Year Member
Supposing you have a manual trans....

Follow the ground strap from the upper radiator support, to the trans. ;)

got_sake?

1.7 ltrs of fury!!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
02EXSILVER said:
Supposing you have a manual trans....

Follow the ground strap from the upper radiator support, to the trans. ;)
dude that's awesome

civydcex04

5+ Year Member
do you mean take a wire from were the stock ground goes from the radiator to the thermostate, intead put it from radiator to the trans?

02EXSILVER

I have a monkey?
5+ Year Member
Ok, I just got my car back from the body shop. You were right civydcex04, it is the thermostat housing. Here is some picts.

Ian01ex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Oh if thats the one then I allready did that one :lol: I didnt daisy chain on the spark plugs yet. I need to buy some more of that black shrink wrap.

02EXSILVER

I have a monkey?
5+ Year Member
I'd also suggest using that "liquid" electrical tape to seal everything up. Thats what I did after the shrink tube.

got_sake?

1.7 ltrs of fury!!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
02EXSILVER said:
Ok, I just got my car back from the body shop. You were right civydcex04, it is the thermostat housing. Here is some picts.

that looks really good. did your gas milage improve a little?

02EXSILVER

I have a monkey?
5+ Year Member
If I fill up right... I can get over 400 miles to the tank. If I baby it, almost 500. Once, I got to 521.3, before the gas light came on.

civydcex04

5+ Year Member
So I did the daisy chain and found better feel to accelleration, and i felt the car did run smoother. Thank you. One question though, when you were speaking of replaceing the trans ground you were speaking of replaceing the battery neg to trans right? Sorry im a little slow=)

gearbox

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
lol, the engine is already grounded, and so are the plugs. that thing you did is useless. ignition solutions makes plasma coil replacements, but they break in a few months.

Ian01ex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Gearbox you did the same thing on your car and were trying to sell grounding kits on here :what:

gearbox

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
one wire is enough, and you can do the valve cover instead of the coils (since they are not even touching the engine due to the rubber gasket). and ya i was selling a set of stock replacement wires, not the kits that people seem to love that grounds 5 different things that dont even need to be grounded.

Ian01ex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Gotcha, I thought your engine bay shot had the same setup as this guy but nevermind.

civydcex04

5+ Year Member
It is never useless!! My radio and amp do sound a little clearer. I think it looks good!! Thanks 02 EXSILVER!!

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
where should i go to get some grouding wire to replace the one to the thermostat?

gearbox

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
any audio shop. just get some 4 gauge ground wire they can cut whatever size you need. then pick up some ring terminals.