Government promotes stunt to deter `motorheads' from racing

Jun. 15, 2006. 05:11 PM
CANADIAN PRESS

COLIN MCCONNELL/TORTONTO STAR
The Ontario government crushed two tricked-out Hondas into a
heap of scrap metal Thursday as part of an effort by Attorney
General Michael Bryant to discourage ``motorheads” from racing
on public streets.

MARKHAM — The Ontario government crushed two tricked-out Hondas into a heap of scrap metal Thursday as part of an effort by Attorney General Michael Bryant to discourage ``motorheads" from racing on public streets.

The spectacle, performed in front of a horde of television cameras in this sprawling suburb just north of Toronto, came on the same day the federal government introduced new legislation to criminalize the increasingly popular activity.

"We are taking away these hot wheels from the people who use them forever," Bryant said as he presided over the theatrics, which featured a massive front-end loader crushing the cars on the driveway of a Markham paving company.

And Thursday's exhibition was just the start, Bryant said.

"We're not just going to take your keys away for a few weeks," he said. "We are going to take your precious vehicles from you."

Used in races in 2003 and 2004, the province took possession of the cars under the Civil Remedies Act, a law passed last December which allows police to seize property used in illegal activities.

The pair are the first street racing cars to be destroyed under that law, but Bryant said he expects more will meet the same fate.

The modified vehicles had been gutted — including the removal of the back seats and interior panels — to make them run faster.

One, a 1995 blue Honda Civic, was taken after an officer caught a 23-year-old man racing at a over 180 km/hr (112 mph) on a Markham street. The vehicle, outfitted with a TV screen and video game console on the dashboard, was registered to the racer's mother.

Street racing has killed 34 people in the Greater Toronto Area since 1999, including a couple who stumbled upon a race on Toronto's central Yonge St. when returning from their 17th wedding anniversary celebration.

Police said officers are reporting a rise in the number of races. Scarier still, the practice has moved from little-used back roads onto busy highways, said Sgt. David Mitchell, an internationally recognized leader in drag racing policing.

"Society has become more 24-hour-oriented," Mitchell said. ``There's always someone out on that roadway."

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If they were smart..

They'd strip them, and auction off the accessories, like wheels, tires, radio, clusters, ect.

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
we don't have to, they're doing a good job on their own...

01S2K

VTEC Worshipper
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
LongGrain said:
but...their canadian :lol:
You don't even wan't to go there..............

I work in a Call Center talking to Americans all day and so lets not go there. :lol:

99CivicGirl

5+ Year Member
2KSIR said:

I work in a Call Center talking to Americans all day and so lets not go there. :lol:
I used to do the same thing. I agree...don't even go there.

Wolfy

Your mom's boyfriend
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Wow, that article was written in a way that makes it seem like doing ANYTHING to your car is evil...

Seig heil. (Or would that be Hail EH!)

ShinsenTuner

CC's Youngest OG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
ahhaha

...wow... that CRX has that Wingswest kit that everyone wanted... that thing could sell for bank...

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I don't understand why they just crush the cars. Wouldn't you be a lot more pissed off if you figured out the cops were using what was once your car as an undercover vehicle?

Seriously, in most parts of the US at least you don't expect cars like these to pull you over. Some of them probably are pretty damn fast and would make decent undercover cars. Just fix them and install everything else they need in order to be a cop car.

Rand0m

Adamantium Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
used to be a fixed up mustang around here that we think might of been undercover.....followed my friend (eastcoastrsxs) around one night, constantly trying to instigate a street race....but everytime the mustang got near, my friends valentine 1 would go berzerk....so he decided not to risk it

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
We have a local site that is primarily just WA people so a close check is kept on any cars that might be undercover and what areas they're usually in.

Unfortuantely some of the idiots on that site will post threads about "let's all meet up and race at such and such on Thursday!". Yeah, cops won't be out on a Thursday looking for street racers... UNLESS... you post when and where and even some of who on a public forum!

I laugh when I think about it but then they say stuff about how it was a set up, etc. Stupid to go to an advertised place like that in particular.

I don't think we have a lot of cars meant to try to get people to race though.

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I get hardcore eyeballed everywhere I go because of my car, and I'm stock. Been pulled over 3 times for "Safety Checks" since March (when I bought the car) and everytime, everybody in the car needs to show an I.D.

PhntmSk8r

H23VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
LowNotSlow said:
I get hardcore eyeballed everywhere I go because of my car, and I'm stock. Been pulled over 3 times for "Safety Checks" since March (when I bought the car) and everytime, everybody in the car needs to show an I.D.
K thats just gat. I get eyballed like non other when im driving around, but ive never been pulled over. And i honestly should of once, blew by a cop at about 105 pretty much right after vtec kicked in 5th... but he never came after me... i was amazed.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jason's hatchie gets looked at a lot. So far my coupe gets more attention with guys in other Civics literally hanging out of the car staring. :scurred: Not kidding either.

Slept-n

The Walking Punchline ;-)
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
2KSIR said:

NEWS FLASH!

CANADA SUCKS!

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Slept-n said:
NEWS FLASH!

CANADA SUCKS!
news flash.. no one from canada is beating down the canadian border to get across into the US.. and well theres a reason for that.. and the reason is NOT canada sucking ;)

next statement about an entire country sucking gets a week of..

why the f**k would you talk s**t on someones natiion... that is just so silly.. just think if people judged america based on the people running the country.. or the laws we have.. people all over th world would be saying the US sucks.. oh wait.. they do.. ;)

BTW does anyone NOT realize this happens in the US as well (as amy pointed out)

Last edited:

silvertuner98

Banned
i would like to know what legally makes it right for them to CRUSH A CAR.... IMO if the car is still being financed and they crush it, could the bank sue? or the owner if the car is paid for? this is just plain stupid. if indiana ever started this s**t, u better f**kin believe ill wrap my car around tree if it looks like ill get caught doing anything (not that i do).

Last edited by a moderator:

96 DX Hatch

Alex
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
PhntmSk8r said:
And i honestly should of once, blew by a cop at about 105 pretty much right after vtec kicked in 5th... but he never came after me... i was amazed.
If he's anything like the guys around here, he didn't turn around because he knew he couldn't catch you if you were to keep going.