Canon Rebel XSI help... Please

00ciivic

My civic is slow.
Well my girlfriend has been wanting a camera for awhile now and a friend of a friend is selling one for 320. The Canon Rebel XSI with 18-55mm lens. I'm just wondering if that's a good deal or not? My girlfriend has never owned a "good" camera before but she takes tons of pictures with her old digital one. I thought it would be a nice random present. Let me know ASAP CC. Thanks.

Mr. Lin

Admiral Ackbar
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
pretty decent

00ciivic

My civic is slow.
Yeah, the guy flaked on me actually. So I guess she is going to have to wait till Christmas.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
It's decent but not amazing. DSLR's hold their value pretty well as long as it doesn't have an absurd shutter count and it's been taken care of.

I'm more of a Nikon guy so I'd say go for a Nikon but that's just me ;). You can use really old lenses with newer Nikon's (something Canon's cannot do).

Mern

Come at me bro.
300-320 would have been an alright deal for that, i'd of probably offered 280. Bummer that he flaked on you but trust me your girlfriend will love a DSLR! (also listen to John he's very helpful when it comes to cameras!)

DeathLens

EM1 Crew
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That would've been a decent deal. I got mine back in 2009 brand new for $590 + tax. Came out to $610.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
that's not true in the least bit
orly? Most Nikon camera's and lenses made since 1959 can be used together (given there are some exceptions, limitations, etc. Regardless, they can at least take pictures). Canon's cannot do this. Their new EOS focusing system f***ed it all up. And that's why I love my D80 with it's internal focusing motor. I've used old school film lenses on my camera and they autofocus.

Mr. Lin

Admiral Ackbar
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
orly? Most Nikon camera's and lenses made since 1959 can be used together (given there are some exceptions, limitations, etc. Regardless, they can at least take pictures). Canon's cannot do this. Their new EOS focusing system f***ed it all up. And that's why I love my D80 with it's internal focusing motor. I've used old school film lenses on my camera and they autofocus.
http://www.makethephoto.com/articles/how-to-use-a-classic-manual-lens-on-your-dslr-camera
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/joechan/eosconverters.html

stop talking unless you actually know what you're talking about. you're steering people wrong, and unfairly at that. I've been doing this for years with zero problems

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Adapters... :rolf:.

I'd still go with Nikon. But hey, to each his own.

Mr. Lin

Admiral Ackbar
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you'd still go with Nikon, yet you see nothing but a sea of white L lenses at professional sporting events, including racing and sports...

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
you'd still go with Nikon, yet you see nothing but a sea of white L lenses at professional sporting events, including racing and sports...
Don't hate :(. I do realize more pro's use Canon but I'll never be a pro anyways :P. I just like the controls on the Nikon better which is why I started with Nikon and not Canon.

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
OP, in the end, if you're not a professional, it just. doesn't. matter. My Rebel makes me look good on a regular basis and I can't tell you a damn thing about it, other than it snaps quick, high quality pictures. I take about 100 pictures a day for work (I'm a real estate appraiser) and I've been using my camera for about two years with no problems. I can't say anything about Nikon because I'm not familiar, but I can say the Canon is a good camera for us normies, and ya gurl is gonna love it.