Can't Find a Turbo Kit Anywhere!

03CivicExCoupe

I have a 2003 Civic Ex Coupe 5 Speed with 142k on it. It is running great, just replaced the factory clutch at 141k. Everything on the car is stock except the exhaust. I want to put a turbo on my car, and a lot of people have directed me to go-autoworks, dezod, greddy, and xenocron to buy a turbo kit. I can not find a kit for my car on their websites though. go-autoworks has one for up to the year 2000, but not 2003. I wouldn't mind getting it part by part either, but it'd be hard for me to tell for sure that each part would work for my car.Does anyone know where I could find a full kit to buy, or a exact list of parts? I would like to get at least 170whp, 200 would be nice though, I want to spend around 3,000 or less but I could probably go up to 4,000 if needed.Less is better though of course. I'm ok at learning most of this stuff, my father will be helping me put it in though and teaching me how to do it, he's mechanic of 20 years+
Also if this is one of those posts that everyone hates because its been asked too much, very sorry lol. If so please just direct me to somewhere that could teach me how to figure out exactly what parts I need

Off-topic - I'm looking to put some HIDs in it, probably 6ks with the black background, my car is silver but I have a black body kit, spoiler, black window rain guards, my back windows and back windshield are completely blacked out, gonna black out the brakelights and mayybeee black plastidip the emblems and rims. Depends whether or not i want to keep the bodykit and spoiler black or paint them silver. I think the black and silver might go good together, not sure.Anyways if someone knows where to get cheap HIDs, prefferably with an led strip in them, let me know.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
You have the WORST CIVIC FOR BOOSTING/MODIFYING

That is why you cant find kits for them, no one wants to mess with them.

Buy an older civic, best thing you can do.

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
Look up danz on d16.org he is running a d17. Atleast he was. Look up turbo kits for your motor.

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ive seen boosted 7th gens make 350-400+hp there just as good as any other ecobox grocery getter you act like 6th gen and older civics were race bred.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You have the WORST CIVIC FOR BOOSTING/MODIFYING
Buy an older civic, best thing you can do.
ive seen boosted 7th gens make 350-400+hp they're just as good as any other ecobox grocery getter you act like 6th gen and older civics were race bred.
Just buying an older car is horrible advice. There are quite a few turbo kits for the 7th gen d17 actually and like lowlife said, they're just as good and actually a little bit better than 6th gen single cams.

At the worst, the 7th gen platform just isn't as popular...that's it. OP, you'll have to find a turbo kit the way that people used to modify their cars before the internet became the go to place for everything. TSI has a decent starter turbo kit that can get you in the door to boost

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
ive seen boosted 7th gens make 350-400+hp there just as good as any other ecobox grocery getter you act like 6th gen and older civics were race bred.
I act like ZERO civics were race bred (minus a type R I guess), you've seen a few make that type of power just like I've seen a few 300hp geo metros and 9 second VW beatles. Sure there are some out there, but few. The ones that are out there are built by die hard 7th gen guys with an exceptional amount of skill, or lots of money. I dont see you rocking a d17 in your race car.

CHILD, buying an older vehicle with 10x the aftermarket support, 10x amount of general knowledge throughout the forums, and probably a fraction the cost for parts for a beginner tuner is a bad idea?

I dont have a problem with either of you, but dont sit there and tell my advice based on practicality and the crawl/walk/boost concept is bad. Im simply trying to steer the kid to the best possible starting point with the least amount of headaches and easier on his (and his dad's) wallets.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Buying an older civic would lead you to needing just as much money and knowledge to get the same results with a slightly lower output (given the same mods). I see no point in that. More aftermarket support just means more options. when you don't know s**t, having more to choose from isn't really helpful.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Buying an older civic would lead you to needing just as much money and knowledge to get the same results with a slightly lower output (given the same mods). I see no point in that. More aftermarket support just means more options. when you don't know s***, having more to choose from isn't really helpful.
You know damn well it does not cost as much to boost/tune an older d series than it is to boost and tune a d17.

Buying an older civic for one the cost of the car will be less, the parts will be less and easier to come by, and it easily will make the same amout of power. Since we dont "know s**t" about the d17 and NOT ONE PERSON is a 7th gen god on this site, the OP choosing to ask for advice from people who dont even own the same engine or generation of car isnt really helpful.

Aftermarket support goes beyond just parts, it's also technical support and more help from the community.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You know damn well it does not cost as much to boost/tune an older d series than it is to boost and tune a d17.

Buying an older civic for one the cost of the car will be less, the parts will be less and easier to come by, and it easily will make the same amout of power. Since we dont "know s***" about the d17 and NOT ONE PERSON is a 7th gen god on this site, the OP choosing to ask for advice from people who dont even own the same engine or generation of car isnt really helpful.

Aftermarket support goes beyond just parts, it's also technical support and more help from the community.
Speak for yourself, I've been around them longer than i speak about. I ran my own car club and we had a manual es2 that we built up and this was back in 2006. You can get bolt on turbo kits for 2grand for the d17 which are missing a few final things just like you can grab a go-autoworks kit for a d16. Your remaining costs are the same for either platform because they aren't make/model specific. If a person is dumb enough to spend more just because their car is less popular to modify, then that's their problem. It's just like d16 owners who have the choice to buy an edlebrock 4000+ turbo kit or take a more involved approach and build a kit.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
So you're saying the non vehicle specific thing like Kpro costs the same as s300? Or the other options like Neptune or ECtune?
I'm not seeing a 2k dollar turbo kit for a d17 anywhere, except a shitty godspeed one. The TSI one seems to make like 170whp at best and its on sale for 2600.

Also, what kind of numbers did your buddy's car put down, how much did it cost and many guys in your "CREW" did it take to build?

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So you're saying the non vehicle specific thing like Kpro costs the same as s300? Or the other options like Neptune or ECtune?
I'm not seeing a 2k dollar turbo kit for a d17 anywhere, except a s***ty godspeed one. The TSI one seems to make like 170whp at best and its on sale for 2600.

Also, what kind of numbers did your buddy's car put down, how much did it cost and many guys in your "CREW" did it take to build?
It took one guy, shop time, modified d16 turbo kit, jumper to obd1, crome with stock internals just a tad over 200whp conservative tuned. Everyone doesn't chase huge numbers. Not sure on final cost but under 3 grand total for sure. Wasn't an easy process, but still. I don't see the point in running away from the platform...just seems lazy to me.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
It took one guy, shop time, modified d16 turbo kit, jumper to obd1, crome with stock internals just a tad over 200whp conservative tuned. Everyone doesn't chase huge numbers. Not sure on final cost but under 3 grand total for sure. Wasn't an easy process, but still. I don't see the point in running away from the platform...just seems lazy to me.
Arent 7th gen coil on plug? Chrone tunes distributor based ignition systems, thats why 7th gen civcs, RSXs and s2000s HAVE to use kpro since they are coil on plug.

I would sure feel lazy after making another 100whp and having cash left over to lower my car and get some decent wheels on my car that was just a few years older than the guy with a single 3k dollar 90whp upgrade.

I dont have anything to prove, especially if I still owned a Honda, or even now with my Dodges. The best bang for my buckis how I play it, and this isnt the way. Nolife said it best, "It's just as good as any other grocery getter" .......................yeah at getting groceries

If the OP has something to prove, which it doesnt seem like he does since he hasnt even chimed in one time and probably has not even logged back in, then lets f**king see it.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Arent 7th gen coil on plug? Chrone tunes distributor based ignition systems, thats why 7th gen civcs, RSXs and s2000s HAVE to use kpro since they are coil on plug.

I would sure feel lazy after making another 100whp and having cash left over to lower my car and get some decent wheels on my car that was just a few years older than the guy with a single 3k dollar 90whp upgrade.

I dont have anything to prove, especially if I still owned a Honda, or even now with my Dodges. The best bang for my buckis how I play it, and this isnt the way. Nolife said it best, "It's just as good as any other grocery getter" .......................yeah at getting groceries

If the OP has something to prove, which it doesnt seem like he does since he hasnt even chimed in one time and probably has not even logged back in, then lets f***ing see it.
Kpro is a must for factory ignition setups. Don't get me wrong, i understand your best bang for the buck approach, but it isn't what everybody goes after. My personal build has no relevance to best bang for buck, just simply doing what most people don't do. I just don't shun the idea of doing something less popular. If bang for the buck was the main thing people were after, there would be almost nobody doing swaps and there would be butt loads of turbo D's. :lol:

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Just buying an older car is horrible advice. There are quite a few turbo kits for the 7th gen d17 actually and like lowlife said, they're just as good and actually a little bit better than 6th gen single cams.

At the worst, the 7th gen platform just isn't as popular...that's it. OP, you'll have to find a turbo kit the way that people used to modify their cars before the internet became the go to place for everything. TSI has a decent starter turbo kit that can get you in the door to boost
X2 ^^^

I was going to suggest the TSI kit also, it comes with a gt28r internally waste gated at 6-7 psi, and base maps for daily driving use.

I found the complete kits on procivic.com under performance-turbo kits. Although I would highly recommend some sort of tune. I wouldn't solely rely on their black box method.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
no one wants to hear your bulls*** go back to your dodge forums.
Oh no I better run no one is going to listen to me :roll:

Have you contributed anything of value to this thread, or anything on this site? Pretty sure I dont see you helping people anywhere near as much as CHILD or myself, if at all.

I asked about Chrome because from my own searching and probably seen it on here, 01+ civics and RSXs etc used COP, so when they first same out you basically had two choices. AEM or hondata, and when everyone saw how user friendly kpro was it became the standard. If your friend retro-fitted a dizzy onto a d17 then kuddos, but why would you do all that work for an inferior ignition system to use an inferior tuning system?

Also read this, I found it searching for doing a distributor swap on a d17, post #6 is the best. Although I havent found the original quote, it is still a good read.

http://www.homemadeturbo.com/hybrid-tech-8/can-d17-engine-made-run-distributor-16020/