cant find this F$@#%&G....

92EH9

flat black rat
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
RATTLE!! Alright ive got a 97 hx and have already checked the heat shields but thats not whats causing my problem. the problem is this god damn rattling noise. when i take off in low rpms i get a clangy rattle or when im parked and step on the pedal it rattles when i let off. the noise is coming from the front of the car and some what underneath. if any one can help it would be great.

baby99si

N/A project has begun....
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Check your cat.

Mahlmann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wrap the cat tightly with coat hangers and it'll hold in in place

Mr. Lin

Admiral Ackbar
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
oil pan... it's your oil pan, I garun-f**king-tee it

ssmith97dx

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ever figure out what the noise was from? I recently noticed the same sound coming from my car during acceleration. Usually happens when my RPM's exceed 3500-4000. Let me know. Thanks

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
check your exhaust system. check all your bolts and supports.

92EH9

flat black rat
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah i found it when i s**t my tranny out of my muffler doing 80 on the hi-way last friday. this sucks

DredwerkZ

Irish Devil
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I had that EXACT same rattle, metal on metal..like a "ting ting ting" right after I put on my cat-back exhaust...pissed me off for bout a week till I had time to check it out...on the pipe right after the cat I forgot to put on one of the rubber hangers...the hanger from the pipe was rattlin against the hanger on the car...

Zak8022

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hmm.. i have a rattle that sounds like that. but i havent located it yet. its been there for around 6 or so months tho, with no ill effects yet. so im not too too worried about it. once its warmer out ill get down there and find it.

Mr. Lin

Admiral Ackbar
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Damn... so it wasn't the oil pan... same symptoms, different problems...

ssmith97dx

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ok, crawled under the Honder tonight and checked out the rattle. It is a heat shield that lies just below the cat.

Where the headers come down and do a 90 towards the backof the car there is a 2-piece heat shield that sandwiches the pipe. Couldn't tell if it was riveted togethor or bolted togethor but they had seperated just enough to annoy the pi$$ out of me. When it dries up out here I will either crawl under it again and re-rivet it or throw it on a rack and see what else could be done.

Just wanted to let you know. ;)

SeanMc300

professional a*****e
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
rattles and noises can sound the same, come from the same place....but they can be a hundred things.

ssmith97dx

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
SeanMc300 said:
rattles and noises can sound the same, come from the same place....but they can be a hundred things.
Folks, we have been enlightened by one of the brightest minds of our time. Thank you SeanMc300, I will forever be gratefull!!

;) J/K :beer:

Actually, as I found out a rattle and a noise can drive you crazy trying to locate it. By using a second person as well as a funnel or funnel like contraption to your ear you may be able to centralize it. Sean is right when he says it can be a hundred different things. And usually it is the hundred and first thing you look at :lol:

banzai

Exit Speed Garage
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I had the same rattle, same problem...it was my cat shield rattling around....

SeanMc300

professional a*****e
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
asshat!!! jk. what i meant was that you can really ask "what is this noise coming from my front end that sounds like a metal hitting metal sound" because we can say check your cat, check your bolts on youre exhaust, but it could be something other than that. true we are giving you the most common things, but i think its dumb to ask that over the internet. the only way you can centeralize your problem is to get on the ground with a friend or 2 and have all you look at it first hand.....

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If it hasn't been said enough, check the catalytic converter. I had a piece of the catalyst break off and wedge itself in my old Prelude's muffler. At idle exhaust flow wasn't enough to move it and at WOT the pressure was high enough to hold the piece down inside the muffler but at about 3000 rpm it would rattle around. The factory muffler wasn't straight through so that piece wouldn't blow out.