Cant remove bolt holdin the harmonicbalancer

iaminfragable

Hey People I need help removing the bolt on my 89 CRX with a D16Y8 the timing belt came while i was driving, i had it towed home and did most of the removal process but i cant get the FREAKING Bolt holding the harmonic balancer off :???: is the bolt left handed thread or right handed thread? Please help Thanks

JCCLARK

The Painter
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It takes a special tool to hold the pulley and a I have to use a 4' long
cheater bar to break them loose. Even the best air wrench wouldn't budge mine.
I use a 3/4" drive breaker bar with a pipe on it.
the pulley holding tool needs to rest on something to keep it from turning.
I use a milk crate with a board on it.
The tool can be had on Ebay, around $35 I think.
Good luck, the first time I had to take it to honda to break it loose.
It's unbelievable, regular threads though.:cool:

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I tried this on my car... Just jack up the drivers side (leaving the other side on the ground for added help), have a buddy get in the car and put the car in 5th gear, and push on the break as hard as he can, then use the tools that @JCCLARK suggested to break it loose. This worked on my car and I'm pretty sure it was the first time it had been broken loose

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm going to tell you this....your legs are the single strongest part of your body.....your going to need every ounce of leg power. If you don't have the proper tools to stop the engine from rotating....you could remove the flywheel cover and jam something between the flywheel and the transmission...

Once you figure that out...get yourself a 1/2" drive rachet and position yourself under the drivers headlight...and push with your legs....DO NOT KICK! Kicking will only cause harm to the tools and perhaps the engine as you could snap the bolt....I've snapped 3. One by kicking....and the others by not tightening them back to proper spec....they loosened..and then the off balance of the pulley snapped them off and then I ran the pulley over....each time I had to drill them out and be extremely careful to not eff up the threads....I've had my fair share of crankshaft pulley problems...

Just be careful and take your time....frustration is when things get broken...and you defiantly don't want that.

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^^this. using your legs will help too. and I did the same trick of jamming something against the flywheel with my prelude