Car cleaning help?

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok my car is about a year and a half old,never really waxed it or anything,just an occassional wash.now i feel like actually taking care of it.i notice that the surface isnt smooth,so i was wondering about wetsanding it?ive washed it,and applied a wax to a small spot,but it still wasnt smooth,so what should i do from here to achieve a nice,smooth and shiney finish on a budget?and for the records,idk anything about cleaning products...

96greencivic

#1 in the Atlantic!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Try clay first. Wet sanding is a last resort.

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sweet,thanks....then what?

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok so the steps are...and in this order...

1.wash
2.clay bar
3.polish
4.glaze
5.waxing

so how often should this whole sequence be done?and what is the process for a more regular cleaning?

and when washing,use a sponge or towel?what kind?

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
one more thing,for cleaning windows,i suck at it,i normally just use windex. is that stoner invisable glass really that much better?and ive heard of people using newspaper to reduce streaking instead of paper towels....iunno?

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
As long as you don't have any kind of greasy residue or something on your windows any clean dry cloth can buff out smears on a clean dry window.

Sirk

5+ Year Member
autoglym fast glass/meguiars glass cleaner works a treat on windows. meguiars clay bars really give a good finish plus it makes washing/polishing alot easier

Team2000

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Clay bars will make you scratch your head at how much crap it cleans off you car. Its amazing stuff, have seen it in action and I was like woah... it cleaned that up THAT much!!!! Do the Clay for the base clean up and then slap on the protections over it ie: wax.

fgraciano1980

keepin' it clean!
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
dont wet sand unless youre good with the rotary buffer. id leave that for a professional.

but yeah like everyone else said:

1. wash
2. clay
3. paint cleaner
4. polish/glaze
5. wax

also i use microfibers to clean my windows, it leaves them spotless and streakless.

i suggest you check out www.meguiarsonline.com and read up.

good luck :thumbs up

fgraciano1980

keepin' it clean!
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i forgot to mention you should clay your windows on the outside too. you wont believe how much crap are on them. that should make window cleaning easier too.

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nice,ima go buy some stuff tom and try it out on sunday and let ya know how it goes

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok here is what i got, i guess i forgot to get the meguirs mirror glaze polish stuff (its yellow or something i think right?)hopefully ill have a nice day soon so i can test this stuff out