car feels slower than normal.

ashtrey634

5+ Year Member
hey i got a stock ej8, i just got a full tune up done except for the o2 sensor done about 2 weeks ago cuz the car has felt sluggish and slow lately. well its the same thing if not more sluggish than usual. any ideas what it could be. im not throwing and CEL's. my alternator belt needs to be replaced and my antifreeze smells like fish so i need to flush that. but other than that there doesnt seem to be anything wrong. it just feels super slow. anybody have idea what i should do. and no turbo, nos or build up ideas. i dont have the money for it right now. plus im getting kinda bad gas mileage too. its like 19 mpg, all city. any help wuld be appreciated.

Gonzo

Tin Foil Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
with that bad of mpg im gonna say replace the o2 senser...the o2 senser can go out with out throwin a code..

CivicEX13

CC's Valve Cover Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
clogged cat? spark plugs...fuel filter...

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
how many miles is on the thing? we need more info.

oh yeah you saved yourself from the post that says "you're driving a d series, of course it's really slow" lol

ashtrey634

5+ Year Member
the car has 83k miles on it. heres a list of what i did since i got the car in december.
cv axles replaced
oil change with 10w30 castrol syntec blend
spark plugs
air filter
wires
cap +rotor
fuel filter
pcv valve
timing belt
timing belt tensioner
water pump
valve adjustment

and yea i know its already slow cuz its a d-series, but this is real slow. like it takes about 13-15 seconds just to get to 60.

xenoicity

Honda Technician
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i would look into the 02 sensor, ive been getting really bad gas mileage lately and sluggish until 3500 rpm then i feel the power kick in. i get periodical cels but it goes off, i know its my 02, just havent had the $$ to replace yet

ashtrey634

5+ Year Member
xenoicity said:
i would look into the 02 sensor, ive been getting really bad gas mileage lately and sluggish until 3500 rpm then i feel the power kick in. i get periodical cels but it goes off, i know its my 02, just havent had the $$ to replace yet
yea thats exactly how it is with me. i dont get any CEL's at all but im always driving in town and s**t so i barely ever go above 3500 unless on the highway. and since im always driving usually around 40mph it feels real sluggish.

* so wuld it be the o2 near exhaust manifold or the one near the cat?

lilwhitecoupe

Ricer
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
change them both if your going to do one, i think the first one regulates fuel not 100% sure though

civic98turbo

I'm back ....
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
it does sound like a clogged cat.....the "fish" smell....and not being able to rev high.....

ashtrey634

5+ Year Member
civic98turbo said:
it does sound like a clogged cat.....the "fish" smell....and not being able to rev high.....
the antifreeze is what smells like fish, my exhaust has a gas smell.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Replace all the o2 sensors. Your mpg will take a huge s**t with (a) bad o2 sensor(s). And your car will perform like s**t too with (a) bad o2 sensor(s).

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
its almost always the o2 sensor that goes out after a tune up

ashtrey634

5+ Year Member
got another question also. its my cuzins automatic ej8 with 75k miles. his car is also sluggish but also when u put the car from anywhere to drive and press on the gas, the car stutters , is it the torque convertor or sumthing?

turboex17

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Mine felt sluggish untill I cleaned the injectors, they were dirty. Might be worth a try.

ashtrey634

5+ Year Member
do u clean them with the cleaner u run through the gas tank or did u take them out? i got some lucas injector cleaner that i put in the tank but it doesnt feel like it does anything.

Bob Mckenzie

5+ Year Member
Mine felt sluggish to eh, then i looked at my manifold and it had a crack all the way around it, i bought a new 1and the difference was amazing....take a look at urz and make sure its not broke eh