car has weird electical gremlin

mosidakid

5+ Year Member
Sorry for the long post but here goes.
First time honda owner, just bought 1997 civic dx with 100,000 miles. Ive had the car for 2 months no problems. My wife complained the other day that the car would not start after she drove it. Turned the key, no dash lights no starter noise, nothing. After sitting for a minute she turns the key everything is normal and car starts. I drive the car daily with no problems until 2 nights ago I get in the car after driving it all day off and on and then same thing. I turn the key dash lights go very dim and no start. Im thinking battery problems. I have a battery tester and it shows the battery is fully charged. I clean the terminals, still nothing but very dim dash lights that come on and then go out. I push start the car and everything is fine. I get the car home and put the battery charger on the battery and it shows the battery fully charged. I put a different battery in the car and it starts right up. (hmmm.) I go to wally world and buy new battery put in car and it starts fine for 2 days until this morning I go to start car and nothing. I mean totally dead no dash lights no radio no dome light nothing nodda. Its as if the battery cable is off the battery but its not. And I retested this brand new battery and it is fully charged.
What is going on with my electrical system.
Thanks for any reply
Jack
(could this be an ignition switch problem, or relay etc..)

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
alternator?
if your able to get the car started and running try going to an auto shop and have them test the alternator..

i also heard you can test it yourself by taking off the positive cable from the battery while the car is running..if the car dies..then that means your alternator is bad.but the car has to be running

99civicy8

5+ Year Member
your alt is definitely not charging your battery whatever you do NEVER pull the terminal off while its running it can blow the diodes, fry your ecu costing you alot more money. the best way to check is with a multimeter or a voltmeter put it on the battery while its running and it should read around 13-14 volts when charging.also check your number 15 fuse under the dash its a 7.5 might be blown

mosidakid

5+ Year Member
The alternator only charges the battery and powers the electrics etc when the car is running. It has nothing to do with why no lights, radio etc do not work with key on engine off and full battery. I found a wire diagram online, Im going to look at the 80amp power distribution fuse when I get off work today.

99civicy8

5+ Year Member
it kind of does its the alt is bad it will drain your battery as the car sits there on or off so if you just get in and turn the key it all depends on how much juice is left in your battery you said the lights would dim and then be totally dead that to mean sounds like your alternator but if its fully charged and wont work i would check for shorts in your wiring harness behind the intake manifold