car is acting up after cleaning engine bay.

ej8_st

I gave a couple sprits of degreaser then hosed it down then i let it dry for the whole night. 1. headlights dont work. 2. startup is weird. 3. weird burning smell near the oil filter. 4. Car vibrates a lot when moving slow, like it wants to stall.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Did you cover sensitive electronics? Like the alternator, battery, fuse box, wiring connectors, distributor, etc.?

Did you use a high pressure hose? Look for wires out of place, broken wires, exposed wiring, etc.

Any check engine lights?

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I would venture to say you wet down some s*** that shouldn't have been
Exactly. Sounds like you've got yourself some electronics with water damage. ALWAYS cover any exposed electronics, remove the intake, and plug up the throttle body opening, as well as covering/removing battery and covering any exposed electronic ends/wires. That s**t can severely damage your car. Let's hope it just needs to dry out.

rustycivic2000

Registered VIP
Exactly what those above me have said.

My brother and I have both cleaned our engine bays with no problem. Common sense to cover all exposed wiring.

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Did you cover sensitive electronics? Like the alternator, battery, fuse box, wiring connectors, distributor, etc.?

Did you use a high pressure hose? Look for wires out of place, broken wires, exposed wiring, etc.

Any check engine lights?
This this this.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
1) Removed "bump" posts. People don't sit on here waiting for questions to answer for people, all of our members have lives outside of the forum. There is no need to bump your threads after such a short period of time, it's not like it is busy and there are pages of new threads hourly. It just annoys people. As seen above, members will answer when they can.

2) 95% Sure the car is starting bad and running terrible because you have water in the distributor cap. Headlights probably means you soaked the fuse/relay box under the hood.