car is flooding its self. please help

van6232

hi i have a 2001 civic with the d17a1 247000km, what Ive done to it (chronologically)
cai, full 2.25 exhaust (ex style) with header, fidanza flywheel and exedy clutch, aem pulleys, and most resently d16y8 manifold.

OK so here's what its doing. when i go to start the car it will crank like there's no tomorrow, but after a about a minute, it'll hydro lock it self with gas. the key in the on position the fuel pump will not stop priming and the injectors seem "stuck" wide open. they will fill the cylinders even when the key is just on.

the only tests Ive done so far is a node light in the injector clips and it wont blink. it just stays on. and i have tested the coils (their good) and put in new plugs

for the d16y8 manifold i used all stock parts (fuel rail and injectors, t/b, map sensor)

anyone had this before??
any ideas are appreciated.

RonJ

Banned
Sounds like a main relay or ECU problem. Any CEL codes?

van6232

my code reader wont establish a connection to the car. so I'm really not sure at all. i tested the relays last night they are good.

Gunner

Registered VIP
You can try to take it to a parts store....i know a lot of them will try to pull your codes free.

Gunner

Registered VIP
OH yeah...as for the reader..do you have the right software? if so check your fuses (in the car)make sure they are all good.

van6232

taking it to a parts store is not an option. i live in the middle of nowhere lol. and she don't start

as for my reader it worked fine before on my civic.

RonJ

Banned
my code reader wont establish a connection to the car.
Have you checked whether 10A hood fuse 9 is blown? Fuse 9 protects the circuit for the data link connector.

The engine just cranks and won't start, right? Have you unplugged the fuel injector clips (to avoid flooding engine) and then checked whether the engine has spark at the plugs? Click the spark link in my signature.

Normally, if you turn the key from off to ON(II), the CEL will turn on for 15-20 seconds and then turn off? Does this happen? If not, what does happen?

van6232

Have you checked whether 10A hood fuse 9 is blown? Fuse 9 protects the circuit for the data link connector.

The engine just cranks and won't start, right? Have you unplugged the fuel injector clips (to avoid flooding engine) and then checked whether the engine has spark at the plugs? Click the spark link in my signature.

Normally, if you turn the key from off to ON(II), the CEL will turn on for 15-20 seconds and then turn off? Does this happen? If not, what does happen?
OK so. no i didn't check that fuse. i will tonight.

yup she just turns, and turns,...... yes i have checked for spark there's tons. i believe the fuel is overwhelming the spark because of the amount of fuel being dumped into the engine.

when i turn the key to the on position, it all seems normalish. the cel stays on though.

i also have aquired a d17a2 ecu from my buddy that im going to put in tonight and see if the injectors stop, and if i can establish a connection with the reader.

RonJ

Banned
yup she just turns, and turns,...... yes i have checked for spark there's tons.
Is spark bright white at all four plugs?

when i turn the key to the on position, it all seems normalish. the cel stays on though.
This tells you that the ECU is registering a problem.

i also have aquired a d17a2 ecu from my buddy that im going to put in tonight and see if the injectors stop, and if i can establish a connection with the reader.
Swapping in a known good ECU is a very good idea, but check fuse 9 first.

van6232

OK so, the fuse was good. replaced it anyways, and still nothing on the data port.

plugged in the vtech ecu(i have no vtech) and everything was normal, i could read the codes (which was the vtech not registering) the fuel pump primed and than stopped. however it still wouldn't start because of the immobilizer obviously.

so in light of this im gonna have to say that my ecu is fried.

how does that happen? just randomly like that?

RonJ

Banned
ECUs can just go bad or you possibly inadvertently caused it through some of your work that caused a damaging voltage surge or short. It happens.