car jerking bad for clutch?

blue888

So after 2 months I finally got the hang of driving stick, but a couple days ago I got my clutch changed since it was burned. The clutch pedal feels so smooth(like butter), that its like i'm starting to learn how to drive stick again. I keep stalling, and alot of jerking. The jerking is mostly when starting from a stop and go(first gear). And i;m kinda nervous that I might burn the clutch... more $$$. Does jerking harm the clutch? could the jerking be a sign of bad motor mounts or just me not having gotten the perfect timing with the new clutch?

jerseyhonda

Sounds to me like its your timing. I had the same problem learning to drive on a new clutch right after learning to drive stick. I'm not exactly sure to be honest if it could mean anything else.

blue888

Sounds to me like its your timing. I had the same problem learning to drive on a new clutch right after learning to drive stick. I'm not exactly sure to be honest if it could mean anything else.
I'm guessing you got better with practice right?

sethxs06

im willing to bet youre just not used to the new clutch. youre used to an older clutch, so the clutch is grabbing better and probably lower on the pedal. I wouldnt stress about it, escpecially with you still being a "rookie" with driving stick. just a little more practice and you should be fine =)

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah I agree with the above guys. It's like u just got done learning how to play football in tennis shoes where u had to be careful not to slip and slide and now u've got cleats on lol. I dunno stupid analogy but u get the picture

blue888

Update
.... I still kinda suck driving with the new clutch, but I don't jerk or stall too much now. In heavy traffic I do swear though lol.
But there is something that has me worried. The first week of having the new clutch the pedal was really soft(butter like), and the mechanics told me its normal. But now that around 3 weeks have passed I feel the pedal has gotten stiffer. It now has some resistence. Also I swear when I tried the car the first week, it would accelerate really fast; it felt lightweight. But now I just don't feel it as lightweight and fast anymore?It does go fast but in 3 gear and up

blue888

quick question... when starting from a full stop you have to slip the clutch in order to get a smooth start right? or else you could drop the clutch but thats worse

mr.nieto

So after 2 months I finally got the hang of driving stick, but a couple days ago I got my clutch changed since it was burned. The clutch pedal feels so smooth(like butter), that its like i'm starting to learn how to drive stick again. I keep stalling, and alot of jerking. The jerking is mostly when starting from a stop and go(first gear). And i;m kinda nervous that I might burn the clutch... more $$$. Does jerking harm the clutch? could the jerking be a sign of bad motor mounts or just me not having gotten the perfect timing with the new clutch?
dude sometimes my car does the same thing...in 1st it jerks and then the rest it goes in good...i paye attention n saw that i was etehr not takeing my foot off the clutch at the right time or adding very lil gas...like try ether or and then get use to it...if it jerks at high rpm it ur tps sensor...then again u gatta practice on clutch....u wont burn the clutch cuz its new also since its new u gatta break it in a bit...dnt haul; it thoue cuz the thing is new

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jerking shouldn't be harmful on the clutch. The best thing to do when you're about to stall, are jerking the car, etc., is to push in the clutch, whether or not you're on the gas. Don't just let it keep going. You could end up in an accident. If anything, it's probably causing more stress on the motor mounts since the engine is rocking so hard.

You're just getting used to the clutch. A worn clutch should feel very different from a brand new clutch. My clutch has 217,000, nearly 218, miles on it. My car feels so much different from other manual cars I drive since I have a billion miles on my clutch.

Also, instead of riding the clutch when starting from a stop (which can wear it out quicker), try feathering the gas lightly.

Shaaaft

FNG
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Jerking shouldn't be harmful on the clutch. The best thing to do when you're about to stall, are jerking the car, etc., is to push in the clutch, whether or not you're on the gas. Don't just let it keep going. You could end up in an accident. If anything, it's probably causing more stress on the motor mounts since the engine is rocking so hard.

You're just getting used to the clutch. A worn clutch should feel very different from a brand new clutch. My clutch has 217,000, nearly 218, miles on it. My car feels so much different from other manual cars I drive since I have a billion miles on my clutch.

Also, instead of riding the clutch when starting from a stop (which can wear it out quicker), try feathering the gas lightly.
I can't feather for my life! A good way to pull out smooth on flat roads is figure out how far you need to let the clutch out for the car to move on its own and then hit the gas when you have it to that point. Do it when you drive and eventually muscle memory will take over.

antie22

i
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I can't feather for my life! A good way to pull out smooth on flat roads is figure out how far you need to let the clutch out for the car to move on its own and then hit the gas when you have it to that point. Do it when you drive and eventually muscle memory will take over.
^^^what he said

blue888

excuse my ingnorence but how would you Feather the clutch?

blue888

dude sometimes my car does the same thing...in 1st it jerks and then the rest it goes in good...i paye attention n saw that i was etehr not takeing my foot off the clutch at the right time or adding very lil gas...like try ether or and then get use to it...if it jerks at high rpm it ur tps sensor...then again u gatta practice on clutch....u wont burn the clutch cuz its new also since its new u gatta break it in a bit...dnt haul; it thoue cuz the thing is new
what you mean by Haul:?: