Car problems, please help!

civicridin

5+ Year Member
So i got my motor installed by this dude. I had a y8 and he swapped in a y7. I changed over the ECU and did the repin for the ecu wires [iacv 3 wire fix]

I got my car back and he doesnt know what the problem is, because hes a stupid f**king piece of s**t taht should never work on a car.

My problems are...

Speedometer does not work

Car idle bounces from 1200-2000

After i was driving it for 5 minutes it started misfiring and you cant give it much gas or it will bog and i would have to upshift to keep it in lower rpms to even go anywhere. and then i would have to keep downshifting when there was power loss so i would keep going. anything over 20 mph was not working. I think it was 20 mph but the speedo wasnt working

My mom in the car behind me said there was white smoke, then grey smoke so im thinking it may have been flooding out the motor?

my car is a obd2a 97 Civic dx hatchback with a P2E computer and a d16y7 with a y8 trans

please help before i kill them and then finish myself off in the driver seat of my car.

Jbuck2KCivic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
do it, kill em all

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
check all engine codes and go from there.

Puma

Has no filter
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
whelp, one less dumb person in the world. get to it!

civicridin

5+ Year Member
it was either MIL code 17 oor 18 somewhere around there.

and that would be the VSS so thats why my speedo doesnt work. The motor is an AUTO and the car is a manual. so what do i do

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sounds like your timing might be off, and you either have a bad head gasket, or hooked up a coolant line to a vacuum port on the intake manifold.

civicridin

5+ Year Member
the timing was never changed, the belt stayed on the whole time. however the distributor was swapped out for a y8 one it fit on fine and they are interchangeable

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the timing was never changed, the belt stayed on the whole time. however the distributor was swapped out for a y8 one it fit on fine and they are interchangeable
Yea but you said he swapped in a whole new motor. Dosent mean the timing was off before it was put in. Double check the cam timing, then set the ignition timing since the distributor was changed. If you cam timing is off, your ignition timing is off no matter what.

civicridin

5+ Year Member
yeah ill check it out, but ive ran fully advanced and fully retarded before, and it didnt seem to have these kinda problems.

Im so stressed its been close to 3 months since ive had my car :(

rexman

hondas for life
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
x2 with the cam timing and always double check engine grounds

civicridin

5+ Year Member
i did check the engine grounds. they were all good, ill check the dizzy timing, but im pretty sure its fine

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah ill check it out, but ive ran fully advanced and fully retarded before, and it didnt seem to have these kinda problems.

Im so stressed its been close to 3 months since ive had my car :(
I just did a y8 head swap on a buddys y7, and the cam timing was off 1 tooth, and the dizzy timing was way off, and it spudder and ran like complete ass. I adjusted the ignition timing, and it ran abit better. Didnt misfire or anything.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I just did a y8 head swap on a buddys y7, and the cam timing was off 1 tooth, and the dizzy timing was way off, and it spudder and ran like complete ass. I adjusted the ignition timing, and it ran abit better. Didnt misfire or anything.
still runs like complete ass lol. Except I should be all good tomorrow (I HOPE)

AliasNeo

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
is the y7 throttle body being used? ifso i had same prob i had to block off the old iacvalve cause my idle would bounce like that too..

civicridin

5+ Year Member
the y7 throttle body and y7 intake manifold is being used. Its a complte y7, minus the y8 tranny. The y7 is what originally came with the car.

also--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok heres the latest update, I was driving after a cold start and it seemed to do good, but when the car warmed up i had aa fluctuating idle and once i get up to 3000 rpms it backfires and if i keep my foot on the gas for longer than 2 seconds it backfires and pops and s**t.

I found the fuel pressure regulator wasnt hooked in earlier, so i hooked it up and i thought thatfixed the problem but it didnt.

so wtf should i look at

right now im going to go out and check the firing order, so ill be back to update

civicridin

5+ Year Member
ok so the firing order is in the correct order. My idle is still bouncing up and down. I cant seem to figure it out.

any ideas? my timing is good, i dont see or hear any vac leaks

AliasNeo

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
maybe the wrong iac valve is still being used... check that out on the y7 throttle body, if its still a 3 wire then thats causing the idle to take a s**t