Car repeatedly blowing head gasket

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sup guys got a stock D16y7 auto and the car is continuously blowing head gaskets. Replaced the gasket twice now then replaced the whole engine and I believe it just blew another one. Coolant is disappearing from radiator and no leaks in sight and its blowing white smoke especially after turning it off then attempting to start it back up after a short period of time.

Old engine was basically shot as the compression test showed rings near the end so we replaced it with a rebuilt one and what do you know less than a month later its blown another gasket, or at least leaking a good amount. Killed the O2 sensor with a slow to respond code and misfires all over the place. Coolant going somewhere into the engine and it just keeps doing this. My gf's mom had her take it to a shop and all they claimed was wrong before was the head gasket, they even said the radiator was fine though I don't trust other people all that much. Any insight would be much appreciated.

StilAHondaFreak

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Are you resurfacing the head when you change the gasket? If not you're wasting money, just sayin.

If you are "doing it right" and still having issues, you most likely have a cracked sleeve :(

Keep us posted, d series are my bread and butter, I'm happy to help ;)

Sent from my craptastic metro pcs android using Tapatalk2 (I miss my "real" internet :(

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Are you resurfacing the head when you change the gasket? If not you're wasting money, just sayin.

If you are "doing it right" and still having issues, you most likely have a cracked sleeve :(

Keep us posted, d series are my bread and butter, I'm happy to help ;)

Sent from my craptastic metro pcs android using Tapatalk2 (I miss my "real" internet :(
Agreed, if you aren't checking the head to make sure it's completely level with the block, you're just creating more work/money for yourself later on down the road. Did you replace the head when you replaced the motor? I would take the car to a reputable shop, and ask them to check the level on your head/block. There's got to be an uneven gap/edge somewhere that's causing it to kill head gaskets.

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
rebuilt engine... did you rebuild it yourself?

if so, was the deck height on the motor and the sleeves even? or was there wear on the sleeves?

did you look at the cylinder bores for cracks?

gugiey

Registered VIP
Sup guys got a stock D16y7 auto and the car is continuously blowing head gaskets. Replaced the gasket twice now then replaced the whole engine and I believe it just blew another one. Coolant is disappearing from radiator and no leaks in sight and its blowing white smoke especially after turning it off then attempting to start it back up after a short period of time.

Old engine was basically shot as the compression test showed rings near the end so we replaced it with a rebuilt one and what do you know less than a month later its blown another gasket, or at least leaking a good amount. Killed the O2 sensor with a slow to respond code and misfires all over the place. Coolant going somewhere into the engine and it just keeps doing this. My gf's mom had her take it to a shop and all they claimed was wrong before was the head gasket, they even said the radiator was fine though I don't trust other people all that much. Any insight would be much appreciated.
I do not think it's your head gasket .

I have lots of questions to help me diagnose this properly .

is your car overheating ?
is the coolant circulating the top rad hose
should be hot and the bottom
rad hose should be cooler then the top .

when your replaced the engine did you happen to change any fuel items . like injectors?

have you pressure tested your cooling system ? this tool can be rented or bought for very cheap .

what are the codes you are getting when you say it killed your 02 sensor .
what cylinders are misfiring . there should be codes for misfiring .

how do you know coolant is going in to your engine . white smoke is not always a sign of a head gasket .have you checked your passanger carpet for a leaking heater core ?

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Alright guys, havent had time to look into all the questions yet but trust me this isn't my first rodeo. I replaced the head gasket in my old b7 and rebuilt my B18C1 from the ground up with no issues. This engine was purchased rebuild with a 1 year 12,000 mile warranty of which it is still under, but we'd like to find out the cause of the problem before throwing a new gasket in. To everyone else we did resurface where necessary but the engine never over heated, NEVER lol and these are 2 completely separate engines doing the exact same thing.

That being said I'm just gonna answer gugiey's questions (no offense to the rest of you)

is your car overheating ? No
is the coolant circulating the top rad hose last time I checked it was but will look into it again tomorrow

when your replaced the engine did you happen to change any fuel items . like injectors? Only the long block was replaced along with wear ites such as gaskets, timing belt, water pump etc. Same intake mani, dizzy, all sensors etc were reused

have you pressure tested your cooling system ? this tool can be rented or bought for very cheap. This was my next step t make sure the radiator isnt putting out some crazy high PSI and causing the gasket to leak

what are the codes you are getting when you say it killed your 02 sensor.
what cylinders are misfiring . there should be codes for misfiring .
Getting a misfire code for every cylinder along with p1399 and p0133 which was the Oxygen Sensor Circuit Slow Response (Bank1)

how do you know coolant is going in to your engine . white smoke is not always a sign of a head gasket .have you checked your passenger carpet for a leaking heater core ?
No leaking to my knowledge, but when you shut the car off for about 1 min then try to restart it it refuses, you have to hold the gas down and find the sweet spot, like a seriously flooded engine or something, then it puffs out a huge cloud of white smoke, and the coolant is going somewhere other than the floor at an increasingly rapid rate the more she drives it. Yet strangely theres still no overheating at all

gugiey

Registered VIP
thanks im in bed so I'll edit this post tomorrow after i have some time to ponder this .

I am pointing to a fuel problem / or burning of the fuel problem .

tomorrow when you get a chance .
have some one start the car and turn it off like you said and try to restart it with a long /weird crank .
so once the engine in full warm have your buddy turn it off and start it again .

smell the smoke at the tail pipe . does it smell sweet like a syrup ?
or does it smell like gas .

I'll add more tomorrow after work