car shakes at 100 km/h

nplaya9

5+ Year Member
my civic shakes when i go 110 km/h, i did the balancing and the alignment, and the car still shacking hard. ?

Raabe

Hell yea I suck toes!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
he posted Km/h and 100 km/h is 63ish mph

but seeing as his previous thread was in MPH, then he backed out and "deleted" his OP, im guessing he's still shooting for a reason why his car "shackles" at 100mph.

nplaya9

5+ Year Member

but seeing as his previous thread was in MPH, then he backed out and "deleted" his OP, im guessing he's still shooting for a reason why his car "shackles" at 100mph.

are you a moderator or something, if you can't answer the question then don't answer it

Raabe

Hell yea I suck toes!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member

are you a moderator or something, if you can't answer the question then don't answer it
Where is it shaking? Does it pull to one side or the other? Have you replaced tie-rod ends? Front shake? Rear shake?

And now your speed is 110 km/h?

Ace92028

Gold Member
:smokenana"i would think it would be from not balancing your tires correctly. <thats my bet, car started "SHAKING" after i put a new set of rims/tires on it with no balance around 55mph and up. I recommend Discount Tire for getting balanced and rotated. :D

DRISSN

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the problem is our cars hit a weird wall at 100. they start to shake and s**t. but once you get to 150 it evens out. hope this helps brah.

stateofjustin

The problem is, that a wheel balancing machine does not balance the wheel 'at speed' or while it's in operation on a car.

Just because it is in static balance at 20mph doesn't mean that it will still be sufficiently in balance at 100mph. Most people just take for granted that it does.
The faster it spins, the more critical the balance is and the less it takes to eff it up.

That said, it should be good enough to reach 65mph without an issue unless something was done wrong like...

Wheel balancing machines can be out of calibration, your tires may have tread separating from the carcass, you may have some minimum wage idiot balancing your tires, they may not have the right adapter to mount your wheels on the machine properly, they may not have weights that fit your rim properly, you may have a rim with an imperfection that you can't solve with balancing weights... there is only so much weight you can put on a rim to balance it before the center of the balance point is no longer close enough to where the machine says the weight needs to go.

Need more? All rims have a 'high' spot (yes it is tiny, but big enough), and tires likewise have a high spot and low spot. Most tires worth their salt have color dot markers on these points, and the a good enough balancing machine can map the surface of the rim's lip and match it to the best point on the tire.

If you are THAT concerned with tire balance, find your local Porsche (or similarly high end) dealership and pony up the money for them to do the balance. Their machine is better, their staff are more skilled, and they will tell you if there is something wrong that won't correct. Yes they will look at you funny for bringing a Honda there, just call in advance and make sure they'll look at it.

dorcus

Old f**ker
5+ Year Member
My car shakes a little in the rear at about 60 mph but stops at about 80 mph so I don't pay it much mind. I think one of the rims has a small dent, but I could be wrong.

nplaya9

5+ Year Member
i put 3 sets of different tires and its still shaking, i did the wheel alignment twice, and also i balance my tires 4 times. I even change the front rotors, change top plates and i put my stock suspensions back on. i really can't find this problem