Car shakes on the freeway

e DoGG 4 sHo

5+ Year Member
Hi, after I put on a set of SI rims on my 98 Civic EX coupe I've noticed when I drive on the freeway it begins to shake when I drive past 70mph. I've had the tires balanced and I've gotten a full alignment but it still shakes... I didn't recall my car shaking prior to this, but is it typical for a Civic to shake at 70+ mph? I'm guessing it has something to do with the wheels, but I don't see any damages done to the tires. Any guess to what may be causing the shaking? Thanks!

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Since you've had the wheels balanced and aligned that pretty much narrows it down to wheel bearings.
Easy way to check if they need replacement would be to life up your car and grab the wheel at the top and bottom(or left and right) and to see if it moves when you try to rock it.

Here's a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5khjK0y6PIw

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
...or your going to fast and the wheels are gonna fall off. A front wing should take care of that.

Jk. But yes. Check the wheel bearings.

daishi17

5+ Year Member
lol I had the same exact prob, went from ex oem rims to the 99-00 si's. Did the alignment and balanced the tires, but car was just shaking after going around 60+. Checked bearings and such, but to no avail. In my case it was the tires.

when I bought the si's it had tires with about 80% life on them, and were 195/60/15. They were the all the same brand tires, but they were some b/s tires. I just cruised on them, till I changed them to 195/50/15 kumho ecsta, runs smooth after that.

just my me cents.

cheeseneck

Already RHD
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you should also check if there's any free play in the wheels. jack the car, and grab the front wheels with both hands like u grab the steering wheel, and shake em.
if there's some free play, like something is not tight, then you may have a broken/damaged tie rod end/rack end.
did u do the wheel allignment aqnd balancing at the shop or by yourself? the tire technician should've noticed anything amiss or some damage to the wheels or drivetrain during the balancing and allignment.

e DoGG 4 sHo

5+ Year Member
I got the tires balanced and aligned at a Wheel Work in San Francisco. I'll do the wheel bearing and tie rod end/rack end check when I head back to the city this weekend. Thanks for the help, I hope I figure it out cause it feels like my car is about to fall apart any minute.

e DoGG 4 sHo

5+ Year Member
I was thinking it had something to do with the tires. I'll check all of the above this weekend. Thanks!

ohsnapzitzmeng

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
maybe the tires have uneven wear? and the mech who balanced them didnt give a sheesh after all the work he done?