car sluggish???

greddy2244

5+ Year Member
hey my 96 ex is runnging sluggishly i dont know why it is i havnt done any mods to it and it just got a oil change so its kind of random the only thing i can think of is i have been driving it on pretty much empty all winter and maybe i needa cleen out the fuel injectors with some fluid or somethin i just dont know what could be going on with it when i floor it it doesnt pick up as fast as it used to

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
who did the oil change?

808EK96

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Maybe try Sea Foam in your next gas fill

Z3R)

5+ Year Member
get some carb cleaner. open up the intake so you can see the throttle plate within the throttlebody. while revving up the car to keep it running (since the carb cleaner will kill the motor) spray it around the plate using it to clean off all the junk. clean where the plate rests as well. when your done open the throttle all the way and spray a whole bunch of it inside the intake chamber until the motor dies. when the motor dies use that time to clean anything that wasnt cleaned around the throttle plate and spray more cleaner into the intake. wait for about 10-30mins and then proceed to start the car. it will take alittle bit before the car will start and it will be very rough. let the car run at idol like that for a min then start slowly revving it up to finish cleaning the rest of the carb cleaner out of the motor.

once the car has burned up all the carb cleaner youll notice youll have a faster throttle response and the car shoul drun much more smooth then before. id also run at least one tank of premium just to help clean the injectors if you dont run it already.

JCCLARK

The Painter
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Sounds like an exhaust restriction, most of the other things will cause a miss.
If it's not missing, then check out your exhaust.
Make sure it's not kinked, dented, or any restrictions.
A muffler can rust and collapse inside.
Catalytic converters can stop up too.
If it's not the exhaust, check the timing, if the distributor came loose
it could have retarded the timing, doing exactly what you described.:cool:

greddy2244

5+ Year Member
i know my muffler is fine and valvaline did my oil change ill check my timimg belt but i know its not my exhaust i havn't done anything to affect my exhaust and the muffler is pretty much brand new

RonJ

Banned
Check for wear and corrosion of the plugs and contact points of the cap and rotor. Check the resistance of the plug wires. Post pictures if you're not sure how to judge. Just replace those parts if they are old.

When all the ignition components are in good shape, check the igintion timing with a timing gun.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I would just do a full tune up and seafoam the fuel tank and engine.. then see what happens.

remember to seafoam BEFORE putting in new plugs

civic0918

Registered VIP
get a tune up new belts change the plugs treat her like you love her and she be good back my civic has 200k and runs better than day one. i have to get some new tirods and maybe a wheel bearing but thats nothing big.

Mugenn_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
run a full can of seafoam thru ur gas tank, withh full tank of gas... dont want it TOO concentrated..then change spark plugs, fuel filter.... should help

oh and dont get shitty no name gas... buy from a reputable station.... and get a higher octane level for this process... just to make sure its done right