Car Sputtering, Possible bad gas??

Gotem91

Hi, I usually search a lot in the forums to see if i can find an answer on a problem I have but mine might be more unique so I decided to start a thread and get some ideas.
Yesterday my Auto 99 Civic ex started sputtering right after i filled up with gas, I've never had this problem before. I have replaced the spark plugs and wires, Fuel filter, air filter, replaced cat with high flow cat, and new exhaust system. I did all this in the last 2k miles. Plus I have no check engine lights on. So i'm pretty confused on why my car started sputtering. I checked all the plugs and wires today to see if there was any issues and there isn't. The car only sputters at what I noticed at lower Rpm's or going up steep hills. If i'm in a lower gear and the Rpm is higher, It runs fine, It also idles perfectly fin. Is it Possible for the gas to be bad? Any Input would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!

thendi

Respected
5+ Year Member
I would check to see if your automatic transmission fluid is low, if it is it might be your problem. From my experience low ATF can seem like a miss fire at times but my experiences are from GM vehicles FYI.

Gotem91

Alright I'll definitely check that, but I'm not sure if that is the problem because it also does it when I Rev up in park but like only between 2k and 3k Rpms!

CaptainJochem

Respected
Is your sputtering only happening when in the lower rev range and you give a lot of throttle? I've had this too, the car would always idle fine, do high revs really well, but when it was in the lower rev range and I demanded throttle it would sputter for a few seconds and then go back to normal. It came down to the spark plugs... I know you said that you recently changed them, but I had the same problem; changed them and 2-3 months later it sputtered! Replace the plugs and that might just do it!

thendi

Respected
5+ Year Member
Did you adjust your valve springs yet? Like captinjochem said you it could be bad spark plugs or wires. You should check everything over just in case. Is it not throwing a CEL yet?

A]]Th!ngSound

Aspiring to Boost
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What spark plugs did you put in? Have you taken off your distributor cap and looked for moisture/dust/dirt or a worn rotor? Bad plugs and dirt in your dizzy cap are known culprits for this type of symptom.

CaptainJochem

Respected
What spark plugs did you put in? Have you taken off your distributor cap and looked for moisture/dust/dirt or a worn rotor? Bad plugs and dirt in your dizzy cap are known culprits for this type of symptom.
I can't quite remember which spark plugs I put in, they were from NGK though. If you check on your timing belt cover it will be written on there. You can check behind your distributor cap, the Civic is known to leak oil into it, if this is the case it is time to replace the seal! But I would go for the cheaper option and go for the spark plugs first, and remember to gap them if they aren't already pre-gaped!

Gotem91

I'm going to look into the spark plug issue because I could possibly see that being the issue because I put cheaper autolite spark plugs in it. I have not taken off the cap, but I believe that was changed right before I bought it. Why would it all of a sudden do it right after I fill up with gas though?? Or maybe just a coincidence. And no its not throwing a CEL, I had a wire go bad on a previous civic and it immediately threw a CEL. I drove it for about 50 miles so I would think if it was going to throw one it should of by then! What is a valve spring?

thendi

Respected
5+ Year Member
I would check the easy stuff before you do a valve adjustment. You should first check your spark plugs to see if they have the right gap and it is not cracked. Parts guys sometimes drop spark plugs which at times damages the porcelain and can screw up the gap of a spark plug. I personal like NGK, Denso, and other OEM spark plugs better. Also, check your wires and your cap like cap is saying. It would make your life easier if you know someone who can monitor the engine data live to figure out what's going on. I think the gas is a coincidence because if it was bad gas then it would run like s**t all the time. A valve adjustment is where you adjust the valve springs and I think Honda recommends it every 120k. Here is a link explaining it http://www.georgebelton.com/6g.civic.tech/valve.clearance/

Last edited:

CaptainJochem

Respected
That might be your problem, don't use cheap spark plugs on these engines. It quite clearly states in the manual and on the timing belt cover that you need to use specific spark plugs. Sure, cheap-o ones might work for awhile but not too long, in your case probably 2,000 miles... change them and keep us updated! I'm very curious.

MotorMo

Respected
I agree with CaptainJochem- I've seen non-OEM plugs cause soooooo many issues. Get Denso or NGK plugs ( OEM )- I would start there so you don't "chase your tail. Another possibilty is the Oxygen sensor could be cause. Again, I've seen aftermarket O2 sensors cause a huge amount of issues. Saw a Bosch O2 sensor make a 94 Accord not go over 30 MPH. My two cents. OEM or bust. Good luck.

thendi

Respected
5+ Year Member
Just an FYI, it would be cheaper to buy the spark plugs online like rockauto.com but the downside it will take a couple of days due to shipping. I only buy stuff from Oreillys type places if I need it ASAP.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What brand of fuel and octane did you fill up with? You should only be using 87 octane. A stock Civic engine cant properly ignite anything higher. Cheap quality gas can also impede performance. I personally only use Chevron and wont touch Shell. I hate how my cars have performed with Shell.

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
Look/listen for vacuum leaks. I would recommend thoroughly cleaning the throttle body also. +1 for distributor cap, rotor, and coil. It's super easy and you can get good parts very cheap.