Car will not go into gear while running after clutch install

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The car is a USDM 1997 Civic EX with stock engine and transmission.

Hey, haven't been on here for a while, but I'm back for right now because I really need your all's help.

Yesterday, I installed a Stage 4 XTD Clutch (unsprung six puck). Once everything was back together, I started the car up, and tried to put it into gear to no avail. It did not go into any gear while running, with the clutch all the way to the floor. When I shut it off, it went into every gear without an issue. The pedal felt firm. If I put it in first gear and then started it, with the clutch all the way in, it would move forward slowly. So, it seemed that the clutch was not disengaging fully.

I bled and rebled the clutch, hoping that was the issue, but it didn't help.

I googled around looking for others with the issue, and the only thing that I could find that I thought was plausible was that I installed the clutch disc backwards. So, today I tore everything down again and flipped the clutch disc around. The disc has a slight shaft that faces out on one side. The first time I put the shaft towards the throw out bearing, and this time towards the flywheel.

I put everything back together, and the car still doesn't go into gear while running. Now, however, if I leave it in first and start it, the car begins to lunge forward. So now it seems that it doesn't disengage at all. Also the pedal feel when the car is off is the same as the first time, but when the car is running, it feels like pushing in on a bag of rocks until it is almost at the floor.

I torqued the pressure plate bolts to 19 ft/lbs, and ensured that they were all correctly torqued.

I checked for leaks at both the slave and master cylinders, and couldn't find any.

The throw out and pilot bearings were both replaced, as well as the flywheel.

So what do you guys think? Defective clutch kit, or another issue? By the way, it is not automatically defective just because it is an XTD clutch, although it may be more likely.

Also, does anyone know for sure which is the correct direction to install the clutch disc? The instructions it came with didn't specify.

Thanks, everyone.

JDM_SPEC_SI-R

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ive seen this issue and fixed it. try not to push the clutch all the way...

so instead of full clutch leave some room before its fully pressed. for example, press it in only 80% but make sure it is disangaged. after you figure that point out... how far it needs to go down, then you can weld a small block to the pedal to hit the floor and stop the pedal before it goes all the way down... make sense?. its something with stage 4 clutches. ive seen this atleats 3 times and everytime that works....

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ive seen this issue and fixed it. try not to push the clutch all the way...

so instead of full clutch leave some room before its fully pressed. for example, press it in only 80% but make sure it is disangaged. after you figure that point out... how far it needs to go down, then you can weld a small block to the pedal to hit the floor and stop the pedal before it goes all the way down... make sense?. its something with stage 4 clutches. ive seen this atleats 3 times and everytime that works....
So what you're saying is that the car should go into gear fine if I push the clutch to just past the engagement point? I'll go try that now.

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I just went and tried to do that. I couldn't get it to shift gears at any clutch pedal height.

Do you know if I have the clutch disc forward or backwards now?

Another thing I just noticed is that if I push it towards a gear (easiest in fourth), then the RPMs will drop.

Sammo115

It be me, Sammo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I hope you did put the disc facing the proper direction...LOL

This maybe a stupid question but did you replace the throw out bearing aka clutch release bearing?

And by any chance you disassembled the clutch master cylinder lines when you had to pull the transmission? If so, have you tried bleeding out the CMS?

2NRSTV

Team Exile/ADO Garage
Registered VIP
This also may be a stupid question, but did you grease the engine output shaft?

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I hope you did put the disc facing the proper direction...LOL

This maybe a stupid question but did you replace the throw out bearing aka clutch release bearing?

And by any chance you disassembled the clutch master cylinder lines when you had to pull the transmission? If so, have you tried bleeding out the CMS?
Upon retrospect I actually do think that the clutch disc is now in backwards. I will be doing the install for a third time as soon as put possible, but it still wasn't working right even when it was in the correct direction. So there has to be another issue as well.

I did replace the throw out bearing, didn't disconnect any clutch lines, but did
bleed the clutch anyway. And I bled it excessively.

This also may be a stupid question, but did you grease the engine output shaft?
No, I don't believe so. I greased the spot for the throw out bearing but not the actual input shaft, if that's what you're asking.

Sammo115

It be me, Sammo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Get back at us when you take out the trans.

Good luck sir.

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Get back at us when you take out the trans.

Good luck sir.
Thanks... I started tonight, should be finishing tomorrow night. I'm gonna triple check everything, and switch the clutch plate back. Then I'll probably still have to figure out the issue. I'm hoping I'll be able to fix it by either adjusting the clutch pedal or by buying an extended rod for the slave cylinder.

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So I got it to work the other day. I switched the clutch disk around and used the stock pressure plate with the aftermarket disc. Then the clutch pedal needed adjusting badly, as it would not go into gear when the pedal was pushed in all the way, only when pushed in past the engagement. After the adjustment, it's working fine. The pedal action is very short now, and there is no free play in the pedal, which is a bit unsettling, but I can't seem to feel any issues with it. Starting is difficult and reverse is impossible, but the other gears are fine.

Thanks, guys!