car wont start again

midnight9703

your neighborhood noob
5+ Year Member
well before my car wouldn't start, it wasn;t cranking, nothing. i would jiggle the battery wires then it would start right up. a shop replaced the negative battery cable because that;s what was supposedly causing the problem. it was starting right up for a while. now i'm back to square one. yesterday and today i would go to start my car...nothing. i wouldn't crank, the lights in the dash and the stereo would come on but it wouldn't do anything. i jiggled the wires thinking maybe it was the same thing...didn't help. tried a few more times and finally it started up. what could it be? same thing as last time or problems with the fuel rail or what? i'm just confused since it's not cranking at all but then starts after like 10 tries. any ideas?

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well before my car wouldn't start, it wasn;t cranking, nothing. i would jiggle the battery wires then it would start right up. a shop replaced the negative battery cable because that;s what was supposedly causing the problem. it was starting right up for a while. now i'm back to square one. yesterday and today i would go to start my car...nothing. i wouldn't crank, the lights in the dash and the stereo would come on but it wouldn't do anything. i jiggled the wires thinking maybe it was the same thing...didn't help. tried a few more times and finally it started up. what could it be? same thing as last time or problems with the fuel rail or what? i'm just confused since it's not cranking at all but then starts after like 10 tries. any ideas?
Man I had the same problem with my Civic and some Fords, it always went back to the negative cable. I put a better Neg Cable on it, and cleaned it up real good. Also the positive could need to be replaced. Next time it does that, take the neg bat terminal off the battery and put it back on, and if it starts right up I would lean to getting a better cable. Any problems when it does crank like slow cranking? Lights dim? Battery good? I wuold maybe take it to the local parts store and just have them test the CCA and Volts to make sure the battery isn't taking a dump man. Hope that helps.

midnight9703

your neighborhood noob
5+ Year Member
thanks, well they replaced the negative battery cable last time this was happening, and as far as the battery it's like brand new so that shouldn't be the problem. when the car does start sometimes it cranks a little while, maybe 5 seconds or so before it starts? but i never thought anything of it cause it was either cold out or i hardly had gas in it (which happens often lol) but right now i have a full tank and it just wont start. sometimes i do notice when i go to start it, if it does start right up i hear a sound (assuming from my subs) almost like air is blowing out. i cant explain the sound, almost like a thump but not in anything mechanical, like i said coming from my subs or something but i never used to hear it. and if i'm sitting with just my car running sometimes i notice the headlights dim for a quick second before getting bright again.

ej2rey

No Boost! No Life!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
What wire is it that you wiggled? The negative, possitive or both?

The power cable might be bad or loose from the starter.

Check the possitive cable and terminal. Also make sure the cable is making full complete contact on the starter

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Here is what I did on mine, bad pic, but I went with a bigger cable. It's big but I haven't had a ground problem since. Yeah mine does the dimming as well even with a new battery, love the Civic's but the electrical system is not the best ever. Im really leaning to a bad conn or bad battery, or both. Have you cleaned your posts/cables lately?

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
What wire is it that you wiggled? The negative, possitive or both?

The power cable might be bad or loose from the starter.

Check the possitive cable and terminal. Also make sure the cable is making full complete contact on the starter
Agreed if there is a bad conn at the starter that will be a big red flag! Not a good conn there, no way for it to turn over.

midnight9703

your neighborhood noob
5+ Year Member
no i haven't. and back when i was having the problem before i was wiggling the positive battery cable. never touched the negative but that's the one they said needed to be replaced when the tested it. now i have this huge ass negative cable, so i'm thinking maybe now it's the positive cable?>

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Possibly, just clean your cables, check the starter cable, make sure it's clean, no damage and tighten it up. Just basically follow the cables and make sure everything is clean and tight!

ej2rey

No Boost! No Life!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Possibly, just clean your cables, check the starter cable, make sure it's clean, no damage and tighten it up. Just basically follow the cables and make sure everything is clean and tight!
x2
When that possitive cable get bad or get loose from the started it starts playing tricks on you. So check it out.

EGHseries

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Check To Make Sure The Terminal Coming Out Of The Starter Is Not Bad And Check The Cable As Well

Main Relay Would Do The Same Thing Just Some More Ideas

gethorix

5+ Year Member
hey

hey dd you try to check the alternator...
i had a problem like that problem is was with the alternatorn. so we had to replace it.

MidniteMike

5+ Year Member
Hmmm I seem to be having a very similar problem... 1996 LX... My lights and instrument panels and everything come on when I turn the key, I don’t hear any thump sound from my subs though... But when I try to start the car I put the clutch all the way down (like usual) and then turn the key in to the starting position, and there is no sound at all, no grinding, no whirring, nothing... I usually hold it for like 5 seconds and then try again, releasing the clutch and the depressing it again, then trying to start it... It can take up to 6 or 7 times for me to finally get it started but when it does start it just starts right up, no sluggish movement... Same problems/solutions or something different? Thanks for the help!

N33D45P33D

5+ Year Member
if youre car dont turn over it could be the starter motor.u can find out by puting the car in ignition, getn a wire, ptn it on the plus ov the batt nd den to da strter moter it should cause the starter motor to work if it dnt ur strtr motor has failed

guitar_adam2000

Alcohol ab-User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
try checkin ur earth points - particularly the one on your engine to the chasis. sometimes they rust up or get s**t on em which can cause the problem you're describing