Carbon Fiber vinyl VS the real thing- Which should I go with?

thedirtybastard

Hi Hater ;)
Well I am starting a back seat delete (in my celica, but haven't found help on the celica boards) tomorrow and I am trying to figure out what I want to do with the space, and I thought CARBON FIBER! But I don't think I would be able to find the interior pieces custom fit for my car without breaking the bank. So, the alternative is the vinyl.

How does the vinyl compare to the real thing?
I know it is easy to install the vinyl, but is it durable and will it last?
Is it good for exterior use as well?

Also, is there anyone that has a side-by-side comparison photo? On the websites for the vinyl it doesnt look NEAR as shiny and its missing that depth to it, basically looks like fancy ductape..

If this vinyl stuff is what I think it is- cheap crappy stuff- what are cheaper alternatives to achieving the look I want? How hard is it and what's the process for shaping real carbon fiber and molding it yourself? I do have sculpting and molding experience, I just havent used it on a car before :P

thedirtybastard

Hi Hater ;)
If I did buy the vinyl stuff I would end up putting it on literally everything.. Laptop, cell phone, tv, like literally everything and anything

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What are you planning to use to build the delete? You'd probably be better off just doing something with fiberglass and painting it, you should check out car audio forums.

leothelion

d:p
Registered VIP
How does the vinyl compare to the real thing?
-its an imitation that sorta looks like the real thing, but has none of the benefits besides aesthetics-depends on what manufacture you go with. some look ok, some look fake, just ask the company your buying from for samples.

I know it is easy to install the vinyl, but is it durable and will it last?
Is it good for exterior use as well?
-most people say its has an exterior lifespan of about 1 to 2 years. interior it should last a while as most are built with UV protection. its not as easy to install as you think. well, it wasn't for me anyways. another thing to consider. since it is a plastic, its going to shrink and expand with temperature. I tried to put some on my pillars last fall. the temperature change caused the vinyl to bubble and tear.

Also, is there anyone that has a side-by-side comparison photo? On the websites for the vinyl it doesnt look NEAR as shiny and its missing that depth to it, basically looks like fancy ductape..
again, only way to tell for sure is to get a sample

If this vinyl stuff is what I think it is- cheap crappy stuff- what are cheaper alternatives to achieving the look I want? How hard is it and what's the process for shaping real carbon fiber and molding it yourself? I do have sculpting and molding experience, I just havent used it on a car before
Ever work with fiberglass? basically the same thing. take the pice you want to duplicate in CF. cover it in clay. remove old piece and layer in CF and coat in Expoy. Voila, new CF piece. Sounds easy, is actually a nightmare.