Carputer install

JMFiberglass

5+ Year Member
carputer installed everything is done except for the 4 channel amp hooked up and the case needs to be mounted somewhere good

:P :P :P :P

96greencivic

#1 in the Atlantic!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Nice, can't wait to see everything installed, but why did you paint the bezel blue?

JMFiberglass

5+ Year Member
its accually a much darker blue than in the pictures, its extremely close to the color im painting my car. Although i think the exterior paint will be a few shades darker. Thats the only thing in the interior im matching with the outside i think. possibly a door panel insert but that will def be it. : ) thanks for the reply!!

X-aCuTiOnA

W.W.H.D.?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
OMG, that is A-mazing! Looks good man, Keep up the good work

JMFiberglass

5+ Year Member
Thanks!! it accually didnt come out as good as i hoped but im pretty hard on myself ive done alot of work since this today, ill post some more pics tommarrow : )

ShinsenTuner

CC's Youngest OG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I like those seats.. . they fire. is that the actual computer back there or is it running off of the laptop

Machinehead115

Team Four Door
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
damn that's some quality glass work :thumbs up ill give u the benifit of the doubt on the color though ;)

JMFiberglass

5+ Year Member
Ya its a computer, the screen is a 7 inch lilliput touch screen so you dont need a mouse or keyboard

X-aCuTiOnA

W.W.H.D.?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
JMFiberglass said:
Ya its a computer, the screen is a 7 inch lilliput touch screen so you dont need a mouse or keyboard
Damn, how much did that throw you back??

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
this might be the direction i go in my wrx... still undecided

JMFiberglass

5+ Year Member
X-aCuTiOnA said:
Damn, how much did that throw you back??
looking back i should have probobly just bought a new car lol

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

i spent around $1,800 for the carputer, screen, subs (used), 2 amps, misc wiring kits and extensions

it can be done on a budget for about 600 bucks. You could take an actual used desktop computer, take out the guts, fit it in a smaller case with a better cooling fan, and the screen is around 250. check out
MP3CAR.com if your interested. The forum there was invaluable. Some people use cheap laptops they find with broken screens on ebay, and just buy the touchscreen and run extensions. i being the ass i am went and bought the best i could get. Its 80 gig harddrive. A via mini atx motherboard purpose built for this so i could use such a small case

i have around 8 grand into the car right now : (((

JMFiberglass

5+ Year Member
$lick Rick said:
this might be the direction i go in my wrx... still undecided
although it was expensive, it is friggin awsome!!!! i dont think ill ever have a car without one again. the possibilties are endless. I mean im looking into a I/O controller right now to control relays for various things in the car like power locks, wipers, lights, etc. Just write a nice program in vb wiith a nice interface. We will see. Im just glass its up and running right now. Ive had a few snags. I had to re-load road runner because it was freezing on me. but not too many complaints. good luck

renegadex96

Captain Obvious
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
did you throw in a wifi card in there? that's my plan after i build my system.......idle the car and transfer stuff like crazy between home and carputer

how much of a drain do you think you're getting, wattage wise on your battery/alternator?

JMFiberglass

5+ Year Member
fventura03 said:
what front end are you using?

im using roadrunner in mine
im using roadrunner as well, but its screwed up, its fine for about half an hour then it starts to bog down and the buttons stop working right light something is running in the bg making it slow down. Im gonna work on it when i get a chance. I also have to adjust the registry because my boot times are a bit slow.
im using the bvm skin with the spinning honda logo flash

JMFiberglass

5+ Year Member
renegadex96 said:
did you throw in a wifi card in there? that's my plan after i build my system.......idle the car and transfer stuff like crazy between home and carputer

how much of a drain do you think you're getting, wattage wise on your battery/alternator?
ya i got a wifi setup and it works great, alot of hot spots here around philly. I love surfing the boards in the car lol thats so fun

as far as wattage goes i dunno exactly but i shouldnt be pulling any more than 20 amps at any time

if my math is right if it pulls 20 amps just say high side on say 14 v with car running im in the neighborhood of 300-350 watts

been allright so far

renegadex96

Captain Obvious
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Cool. Nice set up. WHat kind of specs do you have in your system??? I'm just trying to gage what sort of powersupply, inverters, etc... that i'm going to require

oh yeah, are you running a stock alternator and battery?

somejaykid

i'm a mod now
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
how long did it take you to do that