cash for clunkers helps the likes of Honda/Toyota more thAn Ford/CheVy

kyle10182

NA is Best
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
the program has nothing to do with affording gas fool. it was put out in an effort to become less reliant on foreign oil supplies if we drive more fuel efficient vehicles. they also did it to spur auto sales......however anyone would have known that honda, toyota, etc would benefit more since they are the main producers of fuel efficient vehicles.

anyways....there is no such thing as an American car anymore. honda, toyota assemble their vehicles here in the US and they provide more to the economy than ford or chevy and definitely GM. :P
My hondas were made in Japan, and most others are made in Canada. The US has too many restrictions that doesn't allow automakers to be as productive here as they are elsewhere (Canada, South America, etc.).

But the point of this thread is that you are right when you say that the program is an effort to become less reliant on foreign oil supplies. But isn't it funny that the preferred way to do that by the American people more times then not involves a foreign automaker instead of Ford, Chevy, or Dodge?

But are you suggesting that we are dependent on foreign oil because of the people who bought "clunkers" instead of more fuel efficient vehicles that were available? If so, why do you think they are the ones being rewarded here with a $4500 cash break on their pruchase paid for by you and i who drive 30+MPG getting econoboxes?

Ian123

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
sometimes its not just about gas mileage. id much rather drive a car i actually want and enjoy than some sh*t box that i would buy just to save money at the pump. if your that cheap buy a moped or something

kyle10182

NA is Best
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
but isn't it the American way to only enjoy something big and wasteful? Bigger is better right?

Astheros

AMPhotography
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My hondas were made in Japan, and most others are made in Canada. The US has too many restrictions that doesn't allow automakers to be as productive here as they are elsewhere (Canada, South America, etc.).

But the point of this thread is that you are right when you say that the program is an effort to become less reliant on foreign oil supplies. But isn't it funny that the preferred way to do that by the American people more times then not involves a foreign automaker instead of Ford, Chevy, or Dodge?

But are you suggesting that we are dependent on foreign oil because of the people who bought "clunkers" instead of more fuel efficient vehicles that were available? If so, why do you think they are the ones being rewarded here with a $4500 cash break on their pruchase paid for by you and i who drive 30+MPG getting econoboxes?
well i dont agree with it. so yes i do think that the US government is using the 20/80 principle. 20 percent of the people are doing the work for the other 80 percent.

also...people bought foreing cars not only because of their efficiencies but also because of the bankruptcy problems. if you gave me 4500 bucks towards a car why would i buy a GM or chevy...their warranties are now backed by the US govt....i dont know about you but when a company needs the govt to back their s**t up....it doesnt exactly scream confidence in their products or business duration.

Lopez619

Hector
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
They pour Sodium silicate in the oil, which is liquid glass. it hardens once it gets to a certain temperature.

jokenfu

Adobo Powered Pinoy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Umm, no you're not
ummm ok so I already spoke with them, they gave me a choice, either I get $1000 cash or $5000 down towards a newer car....so year I am getting money that i wouldn't normally have to put a down on a car...

YES I AM!!! LOL

edit: BY THE WAY, anyone have steelies they want to get rid of. my BBS will not be going with the car...

kyle10182

NA is Best
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
for your first question, yes
and for the second one, most of the time
that's weak. Its a shame that the american way is to be ignorant and wasteful.
well i dont agree with it. so yes i do think that the US government is using the 20/80 principle. 20 percent of the people are doing the work for the other 80 percent.

also...people bought foreing cars not only because of their efficiencies but also because of the bankruptcy problems. if you gave me 4500 bucks towards a car why would i buy a GM or chevy...their warranties are now backed by the US govt....i dont know about you but when a company needs the govt to back their s**t up....it doesnt exactly scream confidence in their products or business duration.
This 20/80 thing....isn't that what obama bases most of his reasoning on? Isn't this the same bullshit that we'll get if he gets his way with our health care? I think so.

I also think that so many people are disgusted about the banks and the auto bailouts and the CEO salaries that they would rather do whatever they can to not support the beneficiaries of the bailouts. I know if someone gave me a gift certificate to purchase an american car i'd head straight to the Ford dealership. And Ford has always been the worst of the three in my personal preference. But i love that they didn't need the bailout and are working just fine without it.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's not a perfect plan but it's doing what it's supposed to even if it's not 100% fair.

Astheros

AMPhotography
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the funny thing is that youre to some extent your perpetrating the same idea that got us here in the first place. let me give you 5k towards a car....i entice you to then go get a 15-20k dollar car. great for those who can afford it but what about those who will just see this as an opportunity to cash in on some bling....all the while not thinking about living under their means.

more people in debt with brand new cars. awesome.

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ummm ok so I already spoke with them, they gave me a choice, either I get $1000 cash or $5000 down towards a newer car....so year I am getting money that i wouldn't normally have to put a down on a car...

YES I AM!!! LOL

edit: BY THE WAY, anyone have steelies they want to get rid of. my BBS will not be going with the car...
Important Things to Know

* To participate in the CARS program, you do not have to sign an agreement to pay back the dealer the CARS credit amount if the deal is rejected.
* You are required to leave your trade-in vehicle at the dealership and sign over the title to the trade-in vehicle at the time of the deal.
* Your vehicle must be less than 25 years old on the trade-in date
* Only purchase or lease of new vehicles qualify.
* Generally, trade-in vehicles must get 18 or less MPG (some very large pick-up trucks and cargo vans have different requirements).
* Trade-in vehicles must be registered and insured continuously for the full year preceding the trade-in.
* You don't need a voucher, dealers will apply a credit at purchase.
* Program runs through Nov 1, 2009 or when the funds are exhausted, whichever comes first.
* The program requires the scrapping of your eligible trade-in vehicle, and that the dealer disclose to you an estimate of the scrap value of your trade-in. The scrap value, however minimal, will be in addition to the rebate, and not in place of the rebate.

Have fun getting your deal rejected and then having to pay the dealership back that 5 grand. Whether the dealership said it will work or not doesn't matter, the FEDS have the final say.

jokenfu

Adobo Powered Pinoy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Important Things to Know

* To participate in the CARS program, you do not have to sign an agreement to pay back the dealer the CARS credit amount if the deal is rejected.
* You are required to leave your trade-in vehicle at the dealership and sign over the title to the trade-in vehicle at the time of the deal.
* Your vehicle must be less than 25 years old on the trade-in date
* Only purchase or lease of new vehicles qualify.
* Generally, trade-in vehicles must get 18 or less MPG (some very large pick-up trucks and cargo vans have different requirements).
* Trade-in vehicles must be registered and insured continuously for the full year preceding the trade-in.
* You don't need a voucher, dealers will apply a credit at purchase.
* Program runs through Nov 1, 2009 or when the funds are exhausted, whichever comes first.
* The program requires the scrapping of your eligible trade-in vehicle, and that the dealer disclose to you an estimate of the scrap value of your trade-in. The scrap value, however minimal, will be in addition to the rebate, and not in place of the rebate.

Have fun getting your deal rejected and then having to pay the dealership back that 5 grand. Whether the dealership said it will work or not doesn't matter, the FEDS have the final say.

ummm...it's already been accepted. thanks though have a great day

Ian123

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i dont care what you say theres no way a civic is a 'clunker.'

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
i dont care what you say theres no way a civic is a 'clunker.'
typically older honda's don't apply to cash for clunker's, since the fuel milage rating are alot higher for older honda's then the newer one's, lol.

kyle10182

NA is Best
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
the funny thing is that youre to some extent your perpetrating the same idea that got us here in the first place. let me give you 5k towards a car....i entice you to then go get a 15-20k dollar car. great for those who can afford it but what about those who will just see this as an opportunity to cash in on some bling....all the while not thinking about living under their means.

more people in debt with brand new cars. awesome.
i wanted to add that to my original rant. People who bought the wrong cars getting rewarded with my money all the while putting the country and the people in more debt.
I hate this f**king government so much.
watch what you say. someone reports you and you'll be on the watch list, pal!

jokenfu

Adobo Powered Pinoy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
lol...i think the only reason my car has been accepted is because in the state of CALIFORNIA emission law is STRICT. my car has failed a few times before in emissions. i forgot what they call it...
so i think that's why my car qualifies for this.